Help! My 1997 Bonneville won't start!

Delaymora

I recently bought a 1997 Bonneville that does not start. I was under the impression that all it needed was a new fuel pump, but after replacing the fuel pump, filter, and relay it still will not prime.

I can start the car for 2-3 seconds with starting fluid, however it will not run for longer than that. I have checked every fuse and relay that I can find, and they are all functioning that I can tell.

All of the fluids look as if they had been kept up on, with the exception of the engine oil and the break fluid. The brake fluid still looks passable, and while it was a bit past due for a change the engine oil was clean with no metal debris or other signs of engine failure.

I'm at a loss as to what to do, so any suggestions are welcome.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You stated you checked the fuel pump relay, exactly what did you do?
Did you use a voltmeter or test light?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
So you didnt check if power was being supplied to the relay when the key is turned to start?
Were you able to identify the correct fuse for the fuel pump circuit?
You removed the fuse and visually checked it?
Did you use a ohmmeter to check the fuse?

Delaymora

So you didnt check if power was being supplied to the relay when the key is turned to start?
Yes, and yes, but I'll double check just to be sure.

Delaymora

The fuse is perfectly intact with a resistance of 0.03ohms

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
behind the battery is a green test connector for the fuel pump circuit
Hook an ohm meter to the green prime connector behind your battery with the key off, the other lead to ground. You should read very close to zero ohms (low resistance). Now turn the key to run. You should read infinite resistance. If this is true, it tells you the fuel pump relay is working.

Now use a jumper wire to apply 12v from the battery to the jumper. Do you hear the pump prime?