Help with 70-72 code 75 cardinal red. Does anyone have a current formula for solvent base coat that matches the original?

jim h

Need help with 70-72 code 75 cardinal red. Does anyone have a current formula for solvent base base coat that matches the original. All the samples I have tried don't match because the lead being remove from modern toners. Thanks.

jim h

Did you have the current paint color scanned at an automotive paint supply business?
Thanks for responding. I went to my ppg dealer and got a gallon of code 75. I sprayed the door jams and under the trunk and realized it wasn't a good match. Now I don't have anything original to match to. I have tried at least seven different paint manufactures and nothing looks right. I need a formula that someone has had color matched to the original.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
What part of the car are you thinking is still the original color or what are you comparing your painting atempts to that makes you think it doest match?

jim h

What part of the car are you thinking is still the original color or what are you comparing your painting atempts to that makes you think it doest match?
Thanks for your response. I stripped the whole car down to bare metal before I ordered the pgg paint and it wasn't until I sprayed the jams and under the trunk that I realized the paint was too pink. The only original paint left is on the cowl area under the front fenders. However the factory paint is very thin since this didn't show after the fenders are on. I have over six spray-outs of code 75 from different paint manufactures and no two match. That is why I am hoping someone has matched the original color to a formula I can have made at this time. Thanks again for your interest in my problem.

jim h

Can't to take a part off to take it to a store that has the camera to make the right color?

Doug in P.R. :cool:
Hi Doug, Unfortunately, there aren't any parts left that haven't been primed or painted the wrong color. Still looking for an updated formula.Jim

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
There is only one formula, pontiac 75, PPG 2289. Your paint supplier can't tweak the mix to increase the red pigment ? They should be able to do that to your existing gallon.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Looks like he will have to do a ton of sample sprays, just seen this same thing happen on an episode of Gas Monkey, they were updating a old 90's show truck and had the same problem matching the paint with the new formulas which was a House of Color green. They were able to finally match it up after a few test sprays, the first try they did on the front bumper was way wrong with the current formulas.

Doug in P.R. šŸ˜Ž

jim h

Looks like he will have to do a ton of sample sprays, just seen this same thing happen on an episode of Gas Monkey, they were updating a old 90's show truck and had the same problem matching the paint with the new formulas which was a House of Color green. They were able to finally match it up after a few test sprays, the first try they did on the front bumper was way wrong with the current formulas.

Doug in P.R. šŸ˜Ž
Hi Doug' Now you understand my problem. All the paint manufactures have a formula for code 75, but the modern toners they use alter the color so its not accurate. I am hoping someone has done an eye match and has that formula just like they did on gas monkey garage. I am guessing that any formula that was mixed in the last couple of years would work.Thanks,Jim