• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Help with 98 grand am se. erratic gages and warning lights

Mrdeeds65

I just recently bought a 98 grand am se 2.4. I am having trouble with the temperature gage and tach cutting off and on and the warning lights staying on when the gages quit working. I can hear a clicking sound under the dash when this happens. The car always starts and runs great and all accessories work fine. I have pulled the negative battery cable off the battery and engine block and cleaned them. I still have the problem though..I would appreciate any help if anyone has had this problem and solved it. Thanks.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
The next time the problem happens try to notice if the clicking sound is coming from the hazard flasher. The most common issue that causes the gauges to cut off is a problem with the instrument cluster circuit board. That would have to be confirmed by a mechanic unless you want to attempt replacing yourself.