Help

jbx66

Ohio
Hi all, I’m new, sorry for lack of proper introductions, I’m having a hell of a time it’s my car. It’s a 1966 Catalina coupe with what I believe is a 389 hi-comp engine, coupled with the Rochester 2gc carb. I’ve rebuilt the carb myself three times and for various reasons the doggone thing hates cooperating. Each time the accelerator pump gives me a new problem.

The first time, the pump cup folded back up on itself, great, turns out the interior circular spring was missing.

The next time it does the familiar hesitation/dies at plunge because the cup broke apart. Wunderbar, can’t really fix that one.

After this one, I realize I’m missing a spring that goes between the top of the cup, and a plate that’s been included in all of my kits. I don’t have that spring, can’t find it online, so I improvise one from a bucket of prints I had lying around. Not my finest moment, but hey it might work (spoiler: it didn’t). When I try to run the car this time around, not only will the pump barely dribble any fuel to the intake, but the car won’t run unless I feed it fuel through the vent.

For reference, I’ve:
Cleaned, re-welded and resealed the tank
Cleaned the fuel lines
Put in a new fuel pump
Ensured with a see-thru filter that I am actually getting fuel

Additionally, I discovered the pumps from NAPA and Mikes Carb Parts have different length shafts (about 3/32” difference) giving me another variable.

I’m at my wit’s end. I’d junk the entire thing, but I’m pretty sure swapping a new 4 barrel would be an even bigger headache.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JB

jjr65

Hi all, I’m new, sorry for lack of proper introductions, I’m having a hell of a time it’s my car. It’s a 1966 Catalina coupe with what I believe is a 389 hi-comp engine, coupled with the Rochester 2gc carb. I’ve rebuilt the carb myself three times and for various reasons the doggone thing hates cooperating. Each time the accelerator pump gives me a new problem.

The first time, the pump cup folded back up on itself, great, turns out the interior circular spring was missing.

The next time it does the familiar hesitation/dies at plunge because the cup broke apart. Wunderbar, can’t really fix that one.

After this one, I realize I’m missing a spring that goes between the top of the cup, and a plate that’s been included in all of my kits. I don’t have that spring, can’t find it online, so I improvise one from a bucket of prints I had lying around. Not my finest moment, but hey it might work (spoiler: it didn’t). When I try to run the car this time around, not only will the pump barely dribble any fuel to the intake, but the car won’t run unless I feed it fuel through the vent.

For reference, I’ve:
Cleaned, re-welded and resealed the tank
Cleaned the fuel lines
Put in a new fuel pump
Ensured with a see-thru filter that I am actually getting fuel

Additionally, I discovered the pumps from NAPA and Mikes Carb Parts have different length shafts (about 3/32” difference) giving me another variable.

I’m at my wit’s end. I’d junk the entire thing, but I’m pretty sure swapping a new 4 barrel would be an even bigger headache.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
JB
I got tired of fooling with the Rochester 2bbl in my 1965 Catalina also, and switched it for a 4 bbl Edelbrock with manifold from Summit. I had some professional help, but it wasn't too bad and didn't take long. The people at Summit can help you. They essentially have an entire kit for this. Good luck.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.