Horn does not work

pippo

Reaction score
Well, I fixed the headlight door module and now need to fix the horn as it does not honk. I have the shop manual and went through the troubleshooting steps. It tells you to check with a test light the relay terminals (where relay plugs into) under dash/instrument panel, the "convenience center". So I pulled the relay, and probed with test light. Ground and ORG light up. But ORG and BLK does not, so manual says to check BLK for open. Has anyone done this before? I have used the ohmmeter with the ring tone to test the blk wire on the relay base /panel to the horn switch on steering wheel, and it rings, so this cannot be an open, correct?

Not sure where else I can test for an open. Tips appreciated.

pippo

Reaction score
Sorry, guys, omit my whole concern, as I figured it out! Not sure what I did, but new relay did the trick. Thanks just the same.

Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Did you try swapping with another relay?

92 Sunbird LE

Reaction score
Try swapping relays if that helps, my horn quit and had to be replaced, also the ground has to be clean where the horn mounts to the body or it wont function correctly...

Doug in P.R. :cool:

pippo

Reaction score
Sorry for late reply, Doug- but when I said I solved the problem it was with a new relay. I did not swap the bad one although it was a great idea, but I simply bought a new one. The manual troubleshooting steps called for it, so I didnt bother. But I am happy now. Thanks for following up, Doug.

92 Sunbird LE

Reaction score
What I meant was to swap relays from under the hood in place of the horn relay to see if it works, there are 4/ 5 under the hood, fuel pump, blower, a/c, cooling fan and if equipped : abs.

Glad you got the horn working because replacements sound like import horns ...

Doug in P.R.