• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

How hard to replace the dual exhaust on my 71 GTO.

James Stukey

Exhaust pipes have been on car since I bought it in 1989. How much trouble to remove the head pipe to manifold bolts. Any tricks to do this job. Car is a convert with A/C

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Like any older car the nuts may have rusted onto the studs. You can try penetrating oil sprayed on and also a soaked rag left on for 24 hours. In worse case scenarios heat has to be used. I recommend upgrading to a 2 1/2" exhaust system with mufflers suited to your tolerance to potential drone. Below is an example.

James Stukey

Like any older car the nuts may have rusted onto the studs. You can try penetrating oil sprayed on and also a soaked rag left on for 24 hours. In worse case scenarios heat has to be used. I recommend upgrading to a 2 1/2" exhaust system with mufflers suited to your tolerance to potential drone. Below is an example.
I wish the head pipes were held on with nuts. Pontiac used bolts. I could just heat the nuts with a torch, but the bolts are buried in the manifold and that is lot harder and more risky to try to heat. I wonder if anyone has had experience with this. I have an air impact wrench and could start at low torque and work my way up. I don't want to have to drill out a twisted off bolt.

If you just want to remove the exhaust pipes, you don't have to remove the exhaust manifolds from the heads.
The pipes connect to the manifold with nuts and a flange that holds one end of the exhaust pipe to the manifold. The nuts are on two studs on the bottom end of the exhaust manifold near the firewall.

001.jpg

As melsg5 said, just spray penetrating oil on the studs. I like to give them a light tap with the socket on an extension and wait overnight for the oil to soak in. I have to use a 12 inch extension and a deep well socket to get the bolts especially on the side where the starter is in the way.

James Stukey

Thanks for the reply. My 71 GTO uses bolts to attach the pipes to the manifold. Passenger side came off easily after soaking overnight in penetrating oil and an air impact wrench, but the drivers side has the outside bolt head right behind the upper A frame mount. Was cutting the pipe away to access the bolt head when the battery on the saw ran out. Charging it now.