How to Bleed 1976 GP Power Steering

pontiacgp

Had a new pressure hose put on my 76 Grand Prix and it is hard to turn the steering wheel all the way right or left when sitting still and now . Lots of resistance near the end of travel, but not bad while car is moving. Is it easy to bleed the system. I see what looks like bleeder valve near where the hose attaches to the steering box. If that is a bleeder valve would I turn it counter clockwise to realease air from steering box or

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Did you contact the shop that installed the hose?
Did you try repeatedly turning the wheel left and right all the way anout 20 times?.
Did you check the fluid level?

pontiacgp

Did contact shop they said it should work it's self out. Just bought the car last week and he put the pressure hose on before I got there to pick up the car.I did'nt turn the wheel back and forth that many times. Fluid level is good. Should I remove cap on reservoir when turning the wheel? Thanks

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
No do not remove the cap, it is vented.

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
If it is just air in the system, and the pump is OK, then as was previously stated with the engine running repeatedly turn the steering wheel fully in both directions at least 20 times each way.

If you can lift the front wheels off the ground slightly to make the effort lower. But be safe if you do lift the front end.