I am still having a problem with the cd player

reble

Kennewick, Wa
This is about the stock stereo/cd player that came with my 2008 Pontiac Torrent. The radio works fine, all the time. Sometimes when I put an audio cd or dvd in the player, the player takes in the disk, everything works fine. The dot shows up on the left side of the display. But the disk won't play period on any disk that I put in. The player just sits there and does nothing. I can pull the disk out. Also if I pull the wire plugs from the back of the stereo or pull the stereo fuse and let the stereo sit un-powered for a few minutes. Then put the fuse back in or replug in the wires to the back of the stereo. Then the player will work for a while until the SUV is turned off. Then when I turn the key on again the player acts up again. I tried putting a switch inline on the main power line to the stereo and mounted the switch in the panel so I don't have to pull the radio or pull the radio fuse. The switch doesn't help to reset the player. What now? replace the radio?

Steve

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
you have to find a local shop that repairs CD units

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
you may find one in the junk yard but if equipped with theft lock you need to either try to unlock it yourself or go to a dealer.

reble

Kennewick, Wa
I finely figured out how to make the hard reset switch that I put in to get the cd deck working again, work.

1. turn the key off.

2. Open the drivers door to kill the power to the radio (the radio will stay on after the key is turned off until the drivers door is opened).

3. Turn the bypass switch off.

4. Wait about 5 minutes with everything off.

6. Turn reset switch on.

7. Turn key on.

8. Hit the power button on the radio.

9. put the cd in and the deck works again.

The radio it self is unaffected by this problem, only the cd deck. I don't know why sometimes when I put a cd in. The deck sees the cd been put in ( it doesn't mater if I burned the cd or I got it from a store). The display shows the dot on the left side of the display like it should. but nothing happens, it won't play. I pull the cd and go through the reset sequence above and the deck works again.

Steve

PS: I didn't know that I had to do step 8 above to get the cd deck to work after the reset, I stumbled on that while playing around with it.

Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
glad to hear you found a work around solution to the problem

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.