• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

I have a 1999 grand am se I'm not sure if it is a late 1999 or early 1999 but I am having a real tough and costly attempt at programming 2 new/remotes

jack d

The 2 remotes match my one remaining original remote Two good tech's tried programming them with a scan tool one was a GM dealer the other a auto locksmith.I have tried every conceivable manner of programming on the net and still no luck.The car came with the VSC 3000 security system when new and still works fine.Does anyone no how to program the matching remotes that I have

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
If the GM dealer and the auto locksmith couldnt do it, i would say the remotes you bought are the wrong ones. I assume the original works.

jack d

The remotes are 4 button and the GM part # is almost exactly the same and they are in the same series as my original remaining remote I truly don't think that a tech 2 scanning tool is needed.I only wish that a Pontiac dealership was still around.There is something that I'm missing in going through the many attempts that I have tried from online sources.Thanks

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Almost exactly the same? Sorry that tells me you may have the wrong remotes. What is the number on the original and the number on the new ones?

Last edited:

jack d

OK ! here are the numbers.all GM part numbers My original is : 12495853 The two which I pick up from keyless remote warehouse.com have the same configuration,4 buttons set up exactly as my original with a small led red light that lights when you press any button.The GM part number on them are as follows:12495853 which is the exact # of my original remote.The second one is 12490830 which is in the same series as my original.They checked out at the GM dealership with their key fob tester machine as putting out the correct code and good batteries in each.This is why it is so perplexing,Thanks again for following up with me on this

jack d

My factory/dealer installed security system is a GM VSC-3000 unit installed before I purchased the car .I never had any problems with it or false alarms for over 20 years.I had 4 buttons unlock,lock,open trunk and a panic lower right side with a red led in center between all 4 buttons.I just want to program these 2 pre-owned functional matching remotes.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
How does that answer my question if anybody followed the instructions in the link i provided above?

jack d

First there is mentioned a module in the trunk that has to be jumped out to get into the programming mode,IF YOU DON'T NEED A SCAN TOOL,I tore my trunk apart looking for this thing,I'm not alone in this,some 99 grand am's just don't have that item in their trunk,like mine.I also went back into the key-less remote warehouse's link,thanks and everything matches the criteria including vin number.The only discrepancy is that my VSC 3000 security system is not mentioned under the GM umbrella,it is a newer version than what they have listed.So,I sent them an email which they should see on Monday during the work week.This whole scenario has been like mission impossible and it's not like I'm a stranger to enigma's but I have tried just about everything in my bag of tricks for 2 dummy remotes that should be my new buddies

jack d

No,I don't think so but I did try whatever people said worked for the 99 and there were about 3 different ways from turning the key to on then off several times while holding the unlock on the drivers door in the unlock position.There was another that called for inserting and removing the ignition key a few times while also holding the unlock on the door down.It's like voodoo.I never thought that I would have the car for 20 years,otherwise I would have gotten 2 extra remotes when I bought it totaling 4 remotes.It was the best car I ever had,in snow,ice on highway or streets.Pontiac really did their home work back then with stainless steel exhaust,I never replaced any part of that system.Daytime running lights,and an electrical system that auto shut down if you left even the smallest interior light on.Some hell of a car even in its response to any road condition.

jack d

It. is pretty late so I need some shut eye and will try to find the programming for the 2000 grand Am and print it and give it a try.Nothing to lose.Thanks

jack d

I checked out the 2000 grand am the remote it is different than mine.The open trunk button and the panic button are reversed on the 2000 from where they are on my remote and the FCC number does not even come close to my original remotes FCC number

jack d

Yes I do have the manual for my VSC 3000 Security/alarm key less entry system.There are about 12 small pages more or less explaining how to go into the silent mode,no chirps or horn sounds and how to set it up for auto 30 second arming,also valet settings if you frequently have someone park your car for you.I have read it a bunch of times plus my car manual and there is no info in either on programming remotes,sorry to say.I will see tomorrow Monday if there is any feedback from the email that I sent to the keyless remote warehouse where I got the 2 refurbished key fobs that are definitely a match for my one existing/working/original remote.The problem could be that they do not list the GM VSC-3000 system but they do list other GM security system numbers that are compatible with like The GM VSS-2200 or GM VSS-2300 security systems but my system VSC-3000 is not mentioned and apparently a newer system but it has never failed or given false alarms.If you are a VET,thanks for your service

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Does that manual explain how to install the unit? If not there may be a separate manual for installation and maybe it has a different set of Fob matching instructions. I have not been able to find it on the internet. Not a Vet, my father was, WWII, thanks.

Last edited: