• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

idle stop solenoid. help!!!!

6t8goat

Hey everyone. I need some help with the idle stop solenoid on my 68 GTO with AC. I was under the impression that its purpose was to kick up the idle when the AC compressor turns on to prevent low idle and potential stalling. The solenoid is energized when the key is in the "on" position , so AC on or off doesn't make a difference. Is it wired incorrectly or am i wrong about its purpose? The car idles very low once the compressor pulley starts to spin. Any help is very much appreciated. Thanks, Tom

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
That is not the purpose of that solenoid. it is there to prevent run on after you turn the car off. if you still have the emissions sticker on the car it gives you the setting instructions. You set the normal idle speed by turning the head of the solenoid. Once you have that set you disconnect the wire on the solenoid and set the carburetor screw for a lower speed. You did not mention whether you have an automatic or a manual transmission, they have different settings. For an automatic the idle solenoid is set for 650 in Drive, a manual 850. The carburetor screw for an automatic is set for 500 in Drive and 650 for a manual. Obviously for an automatic when in Drive set the parking brake and chock the wheels.

6t8goat

That is not the purpose of that solenoid. it is there to prevent run on after you turn the car off. if you still have the emissions sticker on the car it gives you the setting instructions. You set the normal idle speed by turning the head of the solenoid. Once you have that set you disconnect the wire on the solenoid and set the carburetor screw for a lower speed. You did not mention whether you have an automatic or a manual transmission, they have different settings. For an automatic the idle solenoid is set for 650 in Drive, a manual 850. The carburetor screw for an automatic is set for 500 in Drive and 650 for a manual. Obviously for an automatic when in Drive set the parking brake and chock the wheels.
Got it. Thanks for the info!!