Ignition soultion

72formula350

California
I have a 72 formula firebird 350. I installed a mallory points eliminator kit (kit 6100M) about two years ago and it failed. (stranded) Anybody have any recommendations for a solid ignition solution? I don't race or autocross so I don't need the ultra $$$ system. Reliability is the key here.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
X's 2, add a Accel Super Coil and a Accel module to it with a brass rotor and brass terminal cap and you will never have problems. ;)

You have to enlarge the ignition wire size to the cap, get that from any HEI GM car in the junkyard or brand new.

You can keep the original parts in the trunk for backup if need be.;)

The original GM modules last forever, cheap aftermarket ones fail easy.

Doug in P.R.šŸ˜Ž

Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I've been using that points eliminator for decades on two cars, 71 GTO and 69 Corvette.
Did you use any silicon grease under the module when you installed it?
You have the original double wires connected to the positive terminal of the coil and you have the red wire from the module connected to that terminal?
You are sure your alternator isnt putting out too much voltage?

G

G-189326

I've been using that points eliminator for decades on two cars, 71 GTO and 69 Corvette.
Did you use any silicon grease under the module when you installed it? - [Yes, came with the kit.]
You have the original double wires connected to the positive terminal of the coil - [there are two original wires going to the coil a black one and a yellow one]
and you have the red wire from the module connected to that terminal? [yes]
You are sure your alternator isnt putting out too much voltage? [alternator (voltage gauge in car) puts out about 14+ volts when running.]

I do not have a ballast resistor
I am running the mallory coil

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
One of the reasons I stick with HEI's is spare parts used to be available at any Parts store, I do not know if that is still the case now that HEI-s have been out of production for at least 25 years.

mobileparts

Available?? All Chineseum, now....
I just unearthed two early HEI N.O.S. U.S.A. made ( 1 -- O.E.M. G M)
Control Modules!!!!
$39.00 for the non-G M, $ 59.00 for the G M;
Free shipping for purchase of either before 6 - 15 - 2019.

Always best to simply call me -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935.... New York.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.