info sought on Zach Reynolds 1962 421 Super Duty

CobraEarl

Reaction score
in 1953 my Grand father started Groce Motor Company in Yadkinville NC

in 1962 or 1963 my Uncle sold a 421 Super Duty Pontiac to Zach Reynolds id Winstonsalem. Zach was a wild young man with the R J Reynolds fortune behind him.

At first Pontiac refused to sell him the car but after some calls to pontiac motor sports, the sale went through. i understand it was a black 1962 4 door Catalina. the car is very briefly mentioned in several stories about Zach. (they also mention his 1965 ford fast back with the 427 Rcode and a 1000 hp turbinique rear end and his 1965 427 SC cobra and his HEMI Cuda. )

must be fun to have been rich.

I heard stories about the sale from my uncle for years.

Anyhow, i’m 74 and would like to see this car.
Zach’s wife told me that they sold it to someone in SC.

The Owner of the Winston Cup NASCAR meusem in Winstonsalem recently told me it’s in Florida

Any leads, stories about it or photos would be greatly appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Interesting character, found a few references to him owning it but nothing pops up specifically on the car. Good luck in your search.

CobraEarl

Reaction score
he bought the car as the ultimate sleeper. i’m pretty sure it was a 4 door. probably the only 4 dr black super duty ever built. understand it had the red interior. and may have had the 8 lug wheels.

i left out the fact that Groce Motor Company was a Small town Pontiac Dealer. selling a new car a week would probably been a big deal. I also think my uncle knew some of the local boot leggers and supplied them with some hot pontiacs. i’ve heard multiple stories about a very hot 1957.

Kraig1957

Reaction score
he bought the car as the ultimate sleeper. i’m pretty sure it was a 4 door. probably the only 4 dr black super duty ever built. understand it had the red interior. and may have had the 8 lug wheels.

i left out the fact that Groce Motor Company was a Small town Pontiac Dealer. selling a new car a week would probably been a big deal. I also think my uncle knew some of the local boot leggers and supplied them with some hot pontiacs. i’ve heard multiple stories about a very hot 1957.
You might try contacting the Winston Cup Museum in Winston-Salem NC. They have hosted a collection of his vehicles before. My guess is if anyone would know, it would be them.

CobraEarl

Reaction score
You might try contacting the Winston Cup Museum in Winston-Salem NC. They have hosted a collection of his vehicles before. My guess is if anyone would know, it would be them.
i have already spoken with Will Spencer the owner of the meusem. he gave me a name and number. number don’t work. he hasn’t gotten back to me with a newer numiner yet
Will also he has a photo of the car some where in his documents. I hope to get a copy of.
Zach’s daughter is a photographer. i plan to get up with her.

I’ve met zach’s wife Dorthy a few years ago. i’m gonna try to get up with her.