• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Installing exhaust flange studs

pippo

Florida
People,

87 sunbird GT, 2.0L engine, and installing new exhaust seal, where the manifold meets the exhaust pipe. Heres the studs I bought:

My question is should the top end of the studs , with the 2 nuts attached in photo, be on the BOTTOM of the manifold assembly, meaning that that end is what gets screwed onto the manifold?

Notice that the studs have a flanged area, just under the nut in photo. Should that end be the BOTTOM (lower) end of the exhaust pipe? Try not to be confused by the way the springs are pictured- they are upside down, as there is no way the wider part of the spring can stay in position if pushed up onto stud, and hold, the way it is pictured as it would go right through that nut.

Thanks.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Seems to me the ends with the nuts screw into the manifold. The thread on that end is too short to attach a seal and pipe and still catch a nut onto the thread.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Mine are bolts, not like the ones pictured.

Look similar, all one piece. Larger end of the spring goes towards the pipe flange.

Used copper Permatex on the donut for a tight seal, added washers on mine because the springs are weak..

Doug in P.R. :cool: