Key in ignition won't stay in "On" position

dolomite792

I have made a video showing the issue of the key not able to stay in the "On" position. There is a spring that keeps it from locking into the "on" position before the crank. The Car will crank but will not remain on. Sometimes it will start but then ultimately sputter and slowly die. If I remove the cylinder lock and spray some lubricant inside the inner parts of the steering wheel would that help? I just drove the car 6 months ago and everything was fine but this ignition not staying in the on position is weird.

Please See Video

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
The video shows the car trying to turn over once and than nothing.
The key normally will return from the crank position to the run position.
You state it will occasionally run and than stall so that has nothing to do with the key unless you physically see the key move to the Off position.
If the car sat for 6 months it could be a number of causes especially if it sat outside.
You have to do a fuel pressure test and a spark test.

dolomite792

The video shows the car trying to turn over once and than nothing.
The key normally will return from the crank position to the run position.
You state it will occasionally run and than stall so that has nothing to do with the key unless you physically see the key move to the Off position.
If the car sat for 6 months it could be a number of causes especially if it sat outside.
You have to do a fuel pressure test and a spark test.

dolomite792

I didn't really show it trying to turn over because the key won't stay in the "on" position it keeps jumping back to the off position. Towards the end of the video you can see how it just won't stay in the "on" position. So someone on facebook mentioned that this part could be the answer

The iginition switch it is called. I am going to try and remove it to see if that is what won't let the key stay in the "on" position.

G

G-324219

Turns out that it was this part, but the engine won't stay on, it might be iginition coil issue. I am replacing the coils and then I will see what happens.