Key stuck in ignition of Pontiac Torrent?

C

conrad

Hey.. Ive got a Pontiac Torrent, And I just put my key in the ignition and everything turned off. no lights, nothing! And the key is stuck in the ignition and it wont come out. Does anyone know what to do?..
Thanks ALOT in advance.
Yes Its In Park..
And The key Doesn't turn all the way to turn off the car, it's like.. in the Battery mode position, BUT, it does turn all the way to turn ON the car, but the car doesn't turn on...

C

captsead0nkey

sounds like the locking pin stuck, spary some silicone spray in it an wiggle it back and forth.
this should release the key..
if not, then you have to replace the ignition.

va2ir

key stuck

Same thing happened on our 07 torrent July 1, 2011.

It was a holiday here so I called a GM dealer in a New York border town. I was told the battery was dead. Sure enough the lady was right. I pulled the battery, recharged, reinstalled, and the key came out, and the car was fine, but I replaced the battery with a new exact replacement.

Battery fails in 4.5 years - not great.

Ian R.

Same thing happened on our 07 torrent July 1, 2011.

It was a holiday here so I called a GM dealer in a New York border town. I was told the battery was dead. Sure enough the lady was right. I pulled the battery, recharged, reinstalled, and the key came out, and the car was fine, but I replaced the battery with a new exact replacement.

Battery fails in 4.5 years - not great.

Ian R.
va2ir,
I am happy to hear that the dealership was able to assist you in figuring out the problem. Also happy that you were able to get your battery charged so you could get your key out. If you have any further issues please feel free to message me.
Thank you,
Stacy Pontiac Customer Service

Grimaldo84

I have an '06 Torrent. Same thing happened to mine. I bought some Graphite Lubricant at Wal-Mart and sprayed it directly in the key hole then a light spray on the key itself. Put the ket in and turned the ignition back and forth a few times, took the key out and repeated. This has fixed the key sticking in the ignition, and not being able to turn the ignition itself. Be careful not to get over spray on your hands or the other parts of your interior. It can be difficult to clean off. Hope that helps.

sya_unit

I have the same problem. And it is intermittent. About 75% of the time everything is fine. Then that annoying 25% of the time my key gets stuck. I can usually sit a minute or two and it pops out. I've had it worked on multiple times to no avail. I will try the lubricant, but I am pretty sure that that isn't going to solve the problem. I am just waiting until it won't come out and then the dealer can diagnose and fix it. Which isn't exactly ideal.

I have the same problem. And it is intermittent. About 75% of the time everything is fine. Then that annoying 25% of the time my key gets stuck. I can usually sit a minute or two and it pops out. I've had it worked on multiple times to no avail. I will try the lubricant, but I am pretty sure that that isn't going to solve the problem. I am just waiting until it won't come out and then the dealer can diagnose and fix it. Which isn't exactly ideal.

sya_unit,
Have you had a chance to have your dealer look into this for you? They will be in the best position to get this diagnosed and fixed for you. Please keep me posted and if you have any questions please feel free to contact me anytime.
Thank you,
Stacy GM Customer Service

Rich C

Had same issue with ignition key stuck in while 2006 Torrent under warranty. I got the key out and later dealer replace ignition switch. Second time I got key out by "force" key to rotate while watching the shank that it wasn't bending and then applied grahite lock lube. Third time I used a Teflon dry film lube while key was still in and was able to pull key out (with some effort). Reinsert key several times and could feel binding and then heard actual "snap" sound - I think a pin poping loose - then no binding when insert and removing key. I don't believe this issue is related to the battery and I verified it was not the steering wheel locking pin binding. Make sure you lube the lock occassional.

RebeccaSegal

Teaneck, NJ
I have a 2007 Pontiac Torrent and it has been having issues with releasing the key after one turns off the car. It has the same problem with both keys, and it doesn't matter which way you put the key in. It doesn't happen every time, but it seems to be happening more frequently now.

Here is a description of what happens:
you get to your destination, put the car in PARK, and turn the key to OFF, and then the key won't come out. you have to sit there and wait for the key to be ready to come out. sometimes you hear a little click and then you know that the key is ready to come out.

I do not believe it is a lubrication issue. i do not believe it has anything to do with the battery, as i had to replace my battery fairly recently and it still happens, actually it is happening more frequently now. It sounds to me like some sort of an electronic locking sensor that doesn't go through its unlock cycle at the right time. i don't even know if the car has that, but it seems the most likely.

What can be done to correct this, so one doesn't have to sit in the car for several more minutes, waiting for the car to release the key?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
The next time you have the problem shift the car back into gear and then back into Park. If the key comes out with this technique I would assume the shift cable is out of adjustment.

amber8702

NY
Same issue

I am having this same issue and it does work sometimes to shift out of and back into park...so does the shift cable need to be replaced or just adjusted? Thank you!!

Leahstorm03

Indiana
Hi I am having the same problem with my Pontiac except my gear shift is locked also. Can anyone help Me? I am needing to fix this because I have to go get my daughter diapers and I can't get my keys out and it will not start.

Sterg18

I have a 2008 Torrent and my key gets stuck intermittently when I put it in park. Shifting in and out does not work, but starting the car and moving usually does. Any suggestions how to fix?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.