• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Looking for Valve/Camshaft Cover Torque Specs for 4.1L (250) SOHC.

68Tempest

I have replaced the valve cover gasket on my 250 inline 6 and I’m having trouble finding torque values. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Typically one does not torque a valve cover gasket. The spec. from the 1970 shop manual says 5 ft/lbs.

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
I would suggest getting a 1967 Service Manual, it has the most complete assembly procedures for the 66-69 OHC-6 engines. I have a slightly beat up spare if you are interested, you can have it for the cost of shipping it to you.

Do not use the 1970 OHV-6 chevy engine spec's for the cam cover. The Torque procedure on a OHC-6 cam cover is very specific, and has to be done in a similar fashion as a head is torqued.

15 ft lbs is the correct torque as melsg5 previously stated.