Losing all fuel pressure when off

greenwater

Our 01 grand am has hard starting and sometimes (seems like when it's very hot outside) it runs rough at idle.

I checked the fuel pressure and I get KOEO 50psi, with the engine running it's about 40 - 42psi. When I turn the car off and the key off, the pressure goes down to 15psi in about 20 seconds. I thought it should remain at the same pressure or drop a few psi.???

I have already replaced the FPR about a year ago because it was leaking gas out the top. The FPR seems fine still, and this did not change anything.

What should I look at or change next? Fuel pump?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You stated the fuel pump is giving you good readings and you state the FPR is also still good. The FPR holds the pressure constant, so unless you have a leak somewhere in the fuel rail after the FPR the next thing is the injectors. Pull the spark plugs and see if they show any signs of being wet with gasoline.

greenwater

Just an update.

I replaced all the fuel injectors and also the spark plug wires (I broke one, but that's unrelated. lol)

The car starts perfectly now!!!! Leaky fuel injectors were indeed my problem. Thanks so much!!!

I guess after 198,000 miles it's about time to replace the fuel injectors. They lived a good life and served this car well. Now they get to rest.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.