Lower ball joints

Pontiac gt94

I was wondering..at some point in the near future I gotta replace my lower ball joints on my 94 grand am gt 2 door..every once in a while I'll get a light clunk on the passenger side while turning..and I do mean light..so I was told lower ball joints.. there's no play in the wheel on and off the ground... Am I gonna have to get a alingment after changing the lower ball joints?? Thank you!!

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Have you supported the vehicle off the ground by the frame and placed a pry bar under the tire and pushed up and observed play in the ball joint. No play the ball joint is good.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
If you do replace the ball joints, it way easier to replace the whole lower control arm with a new replacement arm than struggling getting the ball joint rivits out . Probably your control arm bushings are shot also by now on a old 90's car.

Yes, You do need an alignment , you can get it close by spray painting the strut cam bolts before disassembly, you can line them back up close, but it won't be exact.

Doug in P.R. :cool:

Pontiac gt94

I believe mine has been replaced before sence the ball joints are both bolted in instead of rivited