MAP sensor

Sun Bird

Belgium
Hy,

On my sunbird 2.0 LE is a MAP sensor. This one is not connected. It is a new one. If i connected the sensor, the motor don't start. Or , when the motor run and i connect the sensor, then the motor shut down.
Somebody knows this problem?
Thanks for hulp.
Greettings from Belgium.
Rudy

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
do you know how to read obd1 codes?
when is the last time the fuel filter was changed?
can you do a fuel pressure test?
any broken or cracked vacuum lines?

Sun Bird

Belgium
thanks everybody,
I try to chek the OBD code with a paperclip the next day.
tommorow i must drive about 250 miles without the MAP sensor. the car use now 30L/ 100M.

Sun Bird

Belgium
Hello,

I tryed to check the OBD1 with a bridge between A and B (found on internet) But it doesn't work.
The Check engine light burns but doesn't flash and the motor ventilator run.
The vacuum line is ok, also the fuel filter.
i can't check the fuel pressure but the engine gets to much fuel (black smoke).
The MAP test : On B an ground 4.7v and degrease with vacuum.
The ground test give 9.4V and the other 7.4v.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
check the vacuum line going to the fuel pressure regulator. If you see gasoline in the vacuum line replace the fuel pressure regulator.
check the fuse for the cigarette lighter to see if it is burned out. On newer cars that fuse powers the OBD port.

Vérifiez la ligne de vide allant au régulateur de pression de carburant. Si vous voyez de l'essence dans la ligne de vide, remplacez le régulateur de pression de carburant.
Vérifiez le fusible de l'allume-cigare pour voir s'il est grillé. Sur les voitures plus récentes qui fusible alimente le port OBD.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Could also be a bad O2 sensor, bad coolant sensor or a bad EGR valve. Any of these could make it rich ( use more fuel)

Letting it run rich for a long time will eventually clog the catalytic converter.

Doug in P.R.:)

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.