• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Pontiac owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Masticated rubber around the radiator

NOS118

Reaction score
Question about factory cooling. I notice that there’s a large gap between the radiator and the condenser. Should there be masticated rubber on both side of the radiator and condenser to channel the air flow thur the middle of both? And possibly a large sheet style masticated rubber going allow the bottom of the bumper going across to the condenser again to help direct air flow for more efficient cooling ?

NOS118

Reaction score

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
The parts book I have, dated April 83, has no pictures of any radiators for any year in the illustration catalog. The second book, same date, lists baffles and seals in the radiator area, around section 1.219, but no way of knowing what the actual part is or it's relative location.
You would have to start looking at other B body Pontiacs from your general year to see if they have something yours doesn't.
Are you having an overheating issue?

NOS118

Reaction score
Being in south Florida 90plus degrees weather with the ac on. Highway speed of 65 plus. The temp rises to what seem to be 225-235 once I drop down to 40-50 mph it will drop temp back to 210-215. Not sure if maybe the thermostat is sticking. I had the same issue with my first grand ville 20 plus years ago it cause me over heat a blow the head gasket having to do a total rebuilt. That Car was never the same. I believe that there isn’t effective air flow thru the condenser and radiator with the ac on. Might have to add an electric fan which I really like to avoid being that it will take away from originally. Would like to try to seal the sides first with some rubber sheets to make it look original.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Are you using a Stewart or Mr. Gasket high flow 160 or 180 thermostat?
Is your initial timing set to factory specs?
Is your vacuum advance on the distributor working?

NOS118

Reaction score
Are you using a Stewart or Mr. Gasket high flow 160 or 180 thermostat?
Is your initial timing set to factory specs?
Is your vacuum advance on the distributor working?
Car is all original only 32k. Factory thermostat timing should be factory. I haven’t yet to test the advance on the distributor.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Car is all original only 32k. Factory thermostat timing should be factory. I haven’t yet to test the advance on the distributor.
Remove the 195 thermostat and install a 180 that I recommended.
When you say timing should be factory, do you have a timing light to check that and the vacuum advance unit?