Mexican Cavalier Z24 actually a Sunbird GT

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I had no idea they had done that. Not exactly the same thing but some Canadian built and sold Pontiac's in Canada had Chevrolet engines prior to the 1976 corporate engine fiasco.

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
They Must not have sold many, I do not remember seeing one in any of my work trips to Mexico in the 1990's or later. I used to like seeing what Models were being sold down there.

As for the Chevy Engines in Pontiac's in Canada it was because of the import Tariff's that were in place at the time in Canada, to expensive to import a Complete car of even a Engine before the early 1970's.
GM made (and still does) Chevy V8 & I6 engines in St Catharines Ontario that were used in all Chevy, Pontiac, and Acadian cars assembled in that Country. Around 1970 the Tariff's started coming down, and more cars and parts started crossing the boarder.
It had nothing to do with the "corporate engine fiasco" of the mid to late 70's.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.