Mobil 1 extended oil filter opinions..

Pontiac gt94

Hello im.looking for opinions on these oil filters..I run full synthetic mobil 1 in all my vehicles with there filter's..but my grand am gt 3.1 1994 I use there high mileage full synthetic along with there oil filter..now I've always changed my oil filter with every change but these filters are $15 a pop and say they can go 20,000 miles..now I wouldnt go that far but do you think it would be ok to change every other oil change or still change it at every change

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
It's the old you can pay me now or pay me a lot more later on. It's not worth saving 15 and leaving dirty oil in the filter along with anything the filter picked up.

Pontiac gt94

I was just curious on opinions about it..I always change the filter j dont care if something says you can go so many miles on something without changing it..I always go 3000 no matter what

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Ok, you didnt say 3k in your original post. You can easily go 5k to 7.5k.

Pontiac gt94

Yeah I always change my oil and filter at 3,000..I was asking if I could go every other oil change on the filter sence Mobil 1 says there filter's are good for 20,000 which I would never believe or do that's crazy.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
There is no reason why you shouldn't extend your interval to 6k for both to cut down on expense.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
That's the whole point of synthetic oil, it doesnt break down as quickly.
I'm not telling you go for 10k but 6k should not be an issue.
Keep an eye on the oil level and the smell/consistency of the oil.

Pontiac gt94

I keep a close eye on it because of it being an older car..and im about to hit 3,000 and it's dark but still able to see through it and the level was in the middle so I just stopped it off..I do alot of highway driving..probably about 50 miles a day

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Had a 2000 Olds minivan 3.4 V6 with Mobil One in it, went 50,000 miles with one oil change with a filter replacement every 10,000 miles . Never had a problem, used Purolator Pure One Filters.

Doug in P.R. :cool:

Pontiac gt94

It doesn't break down like mineral oil, it's made to go long distance. Downfall it slips by the rings on cold starts.

I used blended oil on all my vehicles now so I don't have add any between changes.

Doug in P.R. :cool:
Synthetic oil slips by the rings on cold starts???that dosent seem good for you're engine's..specially on a cold start