muffler mystery

pippo

Florida
People,

87 sunbird GT non turbo, muffler is rotted, and wondering if our mufflers come with the "tailpipe" welded on. A few suppliers said they have no such tailpipe as separate. When I look at the rear end of the muffler the back end of the muffler is so rotted out that whatever pipe stuck out fell of, so I cant tell what was back there. But there MUST be a tailpipe because the back end of the muffler is too far behind the line of the bumper. Anyone have any info on this/or supply a picture of what it should be like would be great!

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Here is my 92 with the factory muffler, if you go to www.rockauto.com you can see the selection. Most single outlet mufflers do require a tail pipe extension.

Doug in P.R. :cool:

Attachments

• IMG_20210103_123856002.jpg
    IMG_20210103_123856002.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20210103_123913223.jpg
    IMG_20210103_123913223.jpg
    216.7 KB · Views: 4

pippo

Florida
Thanks, people. So helpful. So turned out I got one from AZ, and bought a muffler end piece, as they call it. It is about 14" long, and the width stated on LABEL IS 2-1/4" ID Turndown pipe. Surebilt code #17604. When I dry fit it onto the muffler it wobbles. I know I have to bolt on a U clamp , but I can not see how a 2-3mm gap will be 'crunched" by clamping. Tips appreciated as always, people.

pippo

Florida
OK, that muffler from AZ is no good, as it has no brackets (front and back) to attach to the hangers on the car. I did try , as one member here advised, Rock Auto, but man, none of what they offer has such brackets. People, WHERE can I buy a muffler that fits by sunbird?

pippo

Florida
Wow, Mel, thats it! Howd you find that? I will call Napa today! Funny how AZ never even came close to what I needed.

pippo

Florida
Turned out that muffler that Mel recomended fitted just perfectly! AZ's muffler didnt even come close to a match. Took a while to cut off the pipe surrounding the tailpipe, but all worked out. I was scared for a while about this job. Anyway, thanks, people.