• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Need advice installing a new windshield in a 1963 Tempest.

Tim Voss

This is a dedicated drag race vehicle. It had a Lexan windshield that was severely clouded. My local glass installer has installed a new windshield with a gasket, but it doesn't seem right. Does anyone know how this windshield should be installed?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Not sure what you are asking, whether it is installed the same way the factory did in 1963 or whether the installer did a proper job regardless of what they did back in 1963?

Tim Voss

Not sure what you are asking, whether it is installed the same way the factory did in 1963 or whether the installer did a proper job regardless of what they did back in 1963?
I was wondering how it would have been installed at the factory, or if anyone had any firsthand experience to share.

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Old cars just used a gasket/ caulk ribbon, ( or on real old stuff they used a rubber gasket with inner groove for the glass and an outer one for the body panel - installed with a string) ,newer cars and trucks with or without air bags use urethane cause it's easy, simplest, and never leaks.

The gasket ( or ribbon) gets hard after time and leaks develop. But that is the old way of sealing a windshield.

You installer just did it that way, he could of used urethane instead. Urethane Primer is needed to bond the urethane to your metal windshield channel, if the channel is rusted and not painted, urethane won't stick.

I believe sometime in the 80's, all the manufacturers went to urethane to install all glass.

Doug in P.R. šŸ˜Ž

Last edited: