Need Help before I go Crazy

ggene

Lebanon,ME
I don't know if anyone has the straightness of there gto's this far but I decided to put a straight edge to my doors and can see a slight curve in them about 1/8 inch through the length from
top to bottom ,it keeps bugging me.
It seems Structural as the area of the door jams are the same. Is this a normal thing in some cars. I am not building a course car bit want it to nice.
Thank you for any help.
Gene

Last edited:

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
What year is your car? It is very common on most cars built before 1970, after that the sheet metal seemed to fit better. I think it changed for 2 reasons, better quality control, and the bigger reason is they did not change the body panel shape every 1 or 2 years.

If you car in a 1967 or older the body fit and finish, and the quality of the assembly left a lot to be desired. I could never stand the way my 65 GTO's front fender to the rocker panel molding fit. There was a 1/4" were the fender curved away from the molding. Then I started looking at other 65's and saw my car was better than most of the others I looked at.

Some pictures would help us know exactly what you are talking about.

ggene

Lebanon,ME
What year is your car? It is very common on most cars built before 1970, after that the sheet metal seemed to fit better. I think it changed for 2 reasons, better quality control, and the bigger reason is they did not change the body panel shape every 1 or 2 years.

If you car in a 1967 or older the body fit and finish, and the quality of the assembly left a lot to be desired. I could never stand the way my 65 GTO's front fender to the rocker panel molding fit. There was a 1/4" were the fender curved away from the molding. Then I started looking at other 65's and saw my car was better than most of the others I looked at.

Some pictures would help us know exactly what you are talking about.
I should have said it is a 66 that was in pretty bad shape when I got it,look like it was hit in the rear by a Mack truck had to replace the whole rear including trunk floor. I am Getting slowly got it in 2017.
Thanks for the reply will try to get pics of door with straight edge on them tomorrow.