Need Help with my 2001 Aztek

grantkat

I recently replaced the alternator. The battery is good as well, charges and passes all load tests. The car ran fine for a short time after putting in the ALT, but my daughter says that security and battery lights came back on after a few days however the battery seems to be charge and starting was not an issue until yesterday. Yesterday when she came tot he stop sign, the RPMs went up and then down and then up again and the car stalled. I have dash lights etc when i turn the key I get nothing. I was going to pull the starter and test it, however the starter would have nothing to do with how it stalled. This may be unrelated however the RPMS seem to go up and down alot. in park the rpms run at 2500 to 3000 in gear they drop down but can vary a little.

Any thoughts as to diagnosing this?

2001 with the V6 3400

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
what is the current battery voltage reading with the engine off?
will the car start with a boost and if it does what is the battery voltage reading with the engine running?
the stalling could have been a result of the battery not having sufficient voltage to power the car's computer.
after the new alternator was installed did you have a check engine light on?
after the new alternator was installed did you have the issue with the high rpms in park? If so you may have a vacuum leak or an issue with the IAC, idle air control valve.

grantkat

what is the current battery voltage reading with the engine off?
will the car start with a boost and if it does what is the battery voltage reading with the engine running?
the stalling could have been a result of the battery not having sufficient voltage to power the car's computer.
after the new alternator was installed did you have a check engine light on?
after the new alternator was installed did you have the issue with the high rpms in park? If so you may have a vacuum leak or an issue with the IAC, idle air control valve.
This weekend I did the following:
Battery Voltage is 12.52v. I pulled the battery and took it to a shop and it passed every test, load, voltage and charge.
The car does not behave differently when you try to jump it.
I read codes prior to pulling the battery and there are no codes.
The RPM issue existed before the alternator replacement.

I pulled the started and took it in and the starter passed all tests. I made them test it twice.

When you put the key in the ignition and turn it nothing happens. it behaves like a fully charged vehicle. The only difference is when you try to start it you get nothing.

grantkat

ok all the fuses are intact. I pulled the ignition relay and tested it and it is good as well.

any suggestions at to where to look next??

question: the relay need to be orientated a certain way?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
did you test the socket to confirm the starter relay is getting power?
usually the relay will only fit one way.
do you hear the relay click when you turn the key to the start position?

grantkat

i tested the relay with a power source on the bench. I have tested to see if the relay clicks upon turning the key. The relay will fit in 2 different ways 180 deg orientation all blades are flat and orientated like this = = ... i think the answer is it doesnt matter because the poles are reversed and the relay still operates.
is it possible the connection under the fuse box has come loose? i think they all lock on place so not thinking it likely

i can listen for a click when someone turns it or put a mutli meter on the connections and see if it gets energized

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.