New Distributor. Rough Ride, Stalling, Overheating

21_Phoenix

Texas
Hey Guys looking for some advice.

I recently had my Distributor Changed.
Before it was running well, never heating up
sounded pretty normal to me.

them ofcourse it started shutting off after running a bit (Distributor had a short/ Bad ignition Coil)

Once it was changed the mechanic I found stated it was running on the wrong firing order * To be specific he said it was running 60 degrees off*

he then stated he fixed it to where the first ignition wire aligned with the pointing of the distributor.

After this the car started running rough and overheating.

I took it back and he adjusted something in the distributor and said he just "loosened" it.

Now it runs but sounds pretty rough. It stalls on occasion and doesn't accelerate. The RPMs had to be set a bit higher. and it goes through radiator coolant like crazy!.

I want to say the timing is way off, or the firing order. But I honestly have no clue.

Thanks for any help in advance!

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
why did you have the distributor changed?
is the mechanic who told you it was 60 degrees off the same one who installed it?
the loss of coolant is not necessarily related to the distributor unless the engine timing was set to the point where the engine was pinging/knocking and internal damage has occurred.
A cooling system pressure test and a coolant hydrocarbon test have to be done to determine why you are losing coolant.
You need to find a new mechanic who is ASE certified.

21_Phoenix

Texas
why did you have the distributor changed?
is the mechanic who told you it was 60 degrees off the same one who installed it?
the loss of coolant is not necessarily related to the distributor unless the engine timing was set to the point where the engine was pinging/knocking and internal damage has occurred.
A cooling system pressure test and a coolant hydrocarbon test have to be done to determine why you are losing coolant.
You need to find a new mechanic who is ASE certified.
I changed the distributor because the car would run for about 15 min. then cut off.
I switched the ignition coil but it continued to do the same.

Yes he is the same one.

Once he installed it, It was pinging very little at first but it stopped after he adjusted it.

Thanks for the advice on the radiator, I will get those done asap!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.