New guy with questions looking to buy a fiero formula

chrisdiehl

Found a fiero formula for sale that has been repainted with formula badging. It’s an automatic though. We’re formulas autos and manuals? I don’t know anything about the fiero other than I’ve wanted one since 11th grade. I’m now 42. Oh and it’s had an engine swap. V6 out of a camaro. Anything I need to know and look for?

Attachments

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You need to have the car checked at a qualified shop. Since some sort of engine change has occurred the quality of the swap has to be determined.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
I had the impression from the OP the car is a Formula clone, no year is mentioned and "Formula rebadging"?

chrisdiehl

It’s an 88. It’s suppose to be a real formula. I was asking what to look for in a real formula to make sure it’s not a clone. It has been repainted and has formula logo badging. Just wanted to make sure it was not fake

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
Also what Camaro V6 does it have? The 2.8 was basicly the same engine as the stock engine. The 3.1 & 3.4's are slight improvements on the stock 2.8, a 3800 V6 would be a major improvement. I have seen all 3 swapped into a Fiero. Or is it one of the new High Feature DOHC V6's?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Look in the front trunk for the RPO label. The WS6 suspension should be listed. Part of that package is a rear sway bar.

chrisdiehl

Go to www.carsforsale.com , there are 2 1988 real Formulas on there for sale that are all factory. (Yellow and Red)

The one in your pics does not look like a real Formula.

Doug in P.R. 😎
Thank you. So far everything checks out. It’s been repainted and definitely not back to factory. It’s for my 17 year old son who loves it. It doesn’t matter much to me if it’s a real formula or not. I became curious as soon as I fell down the rabbit hole of fiero differences. We wouldn’t be paying formula pricing either. So far it seems like a solid car but when the time comes to purchase I’ll definitely get a mechanic to check it out.