New member from Switzerland - 1949 Pontiac Streamliner

Sebastian S.

Switzerland
Hello

My name is Sebastian, I live in Switzerland together with my wife, two cats, no kids.

In October 2017, we bought an 1949 Pontiac Fastback with an 8-cyl. flathead, manual 3-speed. I work as a technical writer and in my free time I love to work on my Pontiac or on my motorcycles. I am quite experienced with the restoration of motorcycles from the early 80th, but this is my first car restoration and it is pure fun!

Since I am not very much experienced with car restoration yet, I am looking for additional opinions and advices from time to time...

Kind regards,

Sebastian

Sebastian S.

Switzerland
Thanks for the warm welcome!

Actually, the body is in good shape. There is only very little rust. But I had some other repairs to do such as rebuilding the gearbox with new bearings and the differential because of extreme noise in the drivetrain - the oil level had been too low due to leakage. All bearings plus pinion / ring where defective.

If someone is interested, I can write a thread about my work providing some pictures.

Currently I am working on the perfect ignition timing and carb setting. With both topics I could need some support as the service manuals are not informative enough for me. I have to admit, that I am just learning to understand how the Carter WCD works. Ignition timing + carb settings makes a dynamic system. Its easy to tune it the wrong way....

Cheers!!

Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
If you have the time a thread concerning your project would be appreciated. I know next to nothing about pre 1955 Pontiac engines but found this short history on them.

davidawg

pittsfield
Hello

My name is Sebastian, I live in Switzerland together with my wife, two cats, no kids.

In October 2017, we bought an 1949 Pontiac Fastback with an 8-cyl. flathead, manual 3-speed. I work as a technical writer and in my free time I love to work on my Pontiac or on my motorcycles. I am quite experienced with the restoration of motorcycles from the early 80th, but this is my first car restoration and it is pure fun!

Since I am not very much experienced with car restoration yet, I am looking for additional opinions and advices from time to time...

Kind regards,

Sebastian

View attachment 3933

View attachment 3934

View attachment 3935

View attachment 3936
Welcome this a great site enjoy

Sal Collaziano

Staff member
Hello

Kind regards,

Sebastian

View attachment 3933

View attachment 3934

View attachment 3935

View attachment 3936
Welcome aboard! Thank you for signing up! :)

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.