Silent_Savage

Hey guys! I wanted to make a post to introduce myself! I am currently restoring a ‘92 Sunbird SE (2.0 i4) convertible, to her former glory, and was hoping I could lean on some active members in this forum for assistance! In return yall get the entertainment of watching me dump my future child’s college fund on my new midlife crisis (yay!) haha more updates and pics soon! I’m on the graveyard shift in Ariz. as we speak Zz.....

Silent_Savage

Thanks all! Here’s some pics I just got off my 9-9 graveyard shift! She’s got some wiring issues and oil leaks (where my seasoned sunbird mechanics at?!) but she’ll be tip top in no time! Just over 115,xxx miles

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    438.1 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    417.3 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    392.6 KB · Views: 1
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 1

Zip

Welcome aboard! They are enjoyable cars....time capsules of a simpler time....when the number of cup holders and Bluetooth connectivity wasn't part of the buying decision.

Attachments

• 43683849083.568717034.IM1.08.1600x1200_A.1600x1069.jpg
    43683849083.568717034.IM1.08.1600x1200_A.1600x1069.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 0

Silent_Savage

Love to see active members on such a niche forum! Makes me excited for the work ahead! Thank you all for the warm welcome! Now who’s ready to get down to the nitty gritty? It’s 2am, my day off, and I’m itching to start tearing things apart! Think imma start chasing this oil leak? Or figure out how to get the cruise control working again! (Fitting in a car made for cruising) Or maybe try and figure why my power locks will unlock, but not lock my doors? So many things to choose from! Anyone up to lend a hand at this hour??

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
Oil leaks on the OHC are usually the cam cover, oil pan gasket or the oil pressure sending unit. Transmission leaks is usually the passenger side axle seal or the pan gasket.

You really have to degrease the top and bottom of the engine department to find the leaks because it's cramped in there.

Cruise and power locks are another matter, you are going to need a GM service manual ( on EBay for cheap) for the testing process on them, the fuse is the first place to look, locks have a small square circuit breaker on the fuse box also. Locks are tied into the dome light circuit , I disabled mine and installed door plungers from a older GM car ( boss is there but no hole drilled ) and ran a new wire to the dome light and pulled the circuit breaker.Not sure you want to do that if you are trying to to restore yours.

Doug in P.R. :cool:

Silent_Savage

Oil leaks on the OHC are usually the cam cover, oil pan gasket or the oil pressure sending unit. Transmission leaks is usually the passenger side axle seal or the pan gasket.

You really have to degrease the top and bottom of the engine department to find the leaks because it's cramped in there.

Cruise and power locks are another matter, you are going to need a GM service manual ( on EBay for cheap) for the testing process on them, the fuse is the first place to look, locks have a small square circuit breaker on the fuse box also. Locks are tied into the dome light circuit , I disabled mine and installed door plungers from a older GM car ( boss is there but no hole drilled ) and ran a new wire to the dome light and pulled the circuit breaker.Not sure you want to do that if you are trying to to restore yours.

So today I did the valve/cam cover gasket, brake pads & rotors (it’s my daily so might as well ya know), checked and replaced all fuses,and a couple other little things.
The oil leak slowed but didn’t stop so I’m gonna tackle the oil pan gasket next.... any tips on the process? Will get under the car tomorrow to take a look... thank you so much for all the help doug, you’re a life saver. Will be looking for a service manual as the cruise and door lock fuses were intact. Thanks again all 🙏🏽

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    397.9 KB · Views: 0

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico

Silent_Savage

Thank god for you man..... I have absolutely NOBODY to help me on this except you, so again, props to you man thanks.
I have decided to tackle this oil pan gasket on my day off today... and am full of questions.
1. On one of those threads, it mentions that I may need two gaskets? One for the oil pan, and one for a windage tray/oil deflector? Is this true? I only have a sheet of cork which I plan to cut into a gasket for the oil pan.
2. WTF is a windage tray/ oil deflector?! LMAO
3. Is there anything in the way I may need to remove??
4. Do you think I will be successful with my self made cork gasket? Or am I just pissing in the wind? Lmao
Thanks again man you’ve been a godsend!

92 Sunbird LE

Salinas, Puerto Rico
There is 2 gaskets, one for the windage tray and one for the oil pan, best off getting a set from the parts store. Felpro still makes them, not sure if it would be in stock at any parts stores but with all the stores in AZ , you should be able to find one.

Look at RockAuto.com to see what they look like ( under engine).

Clean up the pan, tray ,block and bolts with brake clean real good, I would coat the both sides of the gaskets with Permatex Ultra with a very light film to make sure it seals real good. Gaskets alone don't seal GM engines that good.

You will probably see how it goes together once it's taken apart.

Best I can advise you , never done mine yet, or find a Haynes or Chilton manual at the parts store , library or EBay.

Best to research before doing....

Zip

Haynes manuals are inexpensive, but not at detailed as the old 70's Chiltons that I used to have were. And they don't include any convertible model stuff as that was a non-GM conversion.