• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

New to the Forum

MajD

Lebanon, OH
Hello, I am new to the Pontiac forum and looking forward to exchanging information with other members. Last week a Can Am became available in my local area and price range, so I purchased it. I have wanted one of these since I saw one years ago on the road, and I'm excited to own one. I am not new to automotive restoration and currently have a couple projects I'm working on.

I'm planning a frame on restoration for this, as it's currently a pretty solid driver and I don't need another car in pieces all over the shop. I've gone over the car and from what I can tell, it's completely stock. The car needs a little TLC to be in top running condition, and more work on the interior as well as paint and decals to be tight, but it looks pretty good from 10 ft away.

So I was rooting around under the hood checking things out, and I noticed that the breather tube from the valve cover to the air cleaner assembly is missing. I looked at some pictures and it seems like the original tube had two bends in it, similar to an early 70s trans am tube.

I've searched the internet, but couldn't find a tube specifically identified for the Can Am application. It looks like the Trans Ams and Firebirds from 77 had a different tube, so I'm not sure now whether I should get an earlier tube, or whether this is a Can Am specific piece that I will spend years looking for (part of the challenge) and have to fab something in the meantime. Thanks.

MajD

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
Welcome,

I am assuming your car has the Pontiac 400 in it, not the Olds 403 engine.

If so I don't think anyone repops the 75-77 A or G Body Breather tubes. But I will ask some experts. My Collonade is a 73 so I don't think it is the same style. I also know that the C/A's used a unique shaker assembly compared to the T/A's

MajD

Lebanon, OH
Breather tube

Thanks for the reply. I forgot to mention the car does have the T/A engine. I looked at a tube similar to that and had the same idea. I just thought that before I spent the money, I would see if anyone knew for sure whether or not Pontiac repurposed it.

MajD

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
I got this response from a friend that knows these cars much better than I do.

Group #1.768 Part #490355. 73 to 75 Bright Zink and the same number for 76 to 77 list PIPE. CR/CASE (7”) for the 350P, 400 and 455.

He said the only difference between the 73-75 and the 76-77 is the surface finish, the later ones were bare steel & painted semi gloss black.

MajD

Lebanon, OH
Thanks for the reply and the information. I'm still getting up to speed on Pontiacs, so can you tell me if this part number is for a crank case pipe from a Trans Am or a Lemans?