New User looking to buy his first ever Fiero.

Chris1969

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just joined and am happy to be a part of this forum and have a few general questions about the Fiero. I am looking to buy my first Fiero very shortly. I have been looking for months at Fieros that are for sale. I plan to use this car as just a fun summer car and probably wont rack up a huge amount of miles each year. I'm leaning towards something in the 10000 to 20000 mile range with a manual transmission. I'll be looking to spend up to $10,000 or possibly a little more. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who owns a Fiero. When I talk to people about this car, I keep hearing that the car is junk, some catch on fire, and always need fixing. I wanted to ask you guys what your personal experiences have been since buying yours. I'm hoping to hear good news. I've seen some really sharp 84's with super low miles. Does it really matter whether you go with the 4 speed manual from 1984 or go with the 5 speed that came in the 85's and up, or the v-4 vs the v-6. Personally I seem to like the look of the Formula the best, but they seem to be very hard to find and a little more than I want to spend. Basically I'm just looking for some advice on what to look for when buying one. I would really be happy with any model of them, as long as the car does not require a small fortune to maintain. I mentioned I was looking for something with low miles with a very clean exterior and interior. I would think if you bought something with those specifics, that you would be ok except for routine maintenance. Any advice for a new buyer would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
I have never owned one but generally speaking when buying a car of that vintage you must have it checked by a qualified mechanic. If the seller does not allow you to have it checked move on to the next car. A major consideration when looking is the condiditon of the frame, even a low mileage vehicle may have unacceptable levels of rust. As far as transmission and engine that is your preference, I would think the 5 speed and V6 might be more fun to own, Hopefully others who own them will respond to your post.

Niagara Fieros

Reaction score
I personally own several Fieros right now and can tell you that they are a blast to drive and own. I can be fairly objective about it, as I also own Muscle cars too. People who tell you they are Junk or hard to maintain are poorly informed. The Formula you are considering is a good choice. It's an '88 (arguably the best model year). The part about 10,000 - 20,000 miles on a car that is 31 years old will be a bit of a challenge especially for the price you are considering. You might be looking at a car with 50,000 - 60,000 miles which is still all good.

I agree with all the points of melsg5 above and more. If you own any 30 year old car, regardless of make or model, expect to know a thing or two about cars as you may need to do a bit more than regular maintenance to the vehicle. Regular maintenance is reserved for cars that are 1-5 years old.

Working on these cars is no different than working on any car... To learn as much as you can in the shortest span of time, try and get in touch with a local Fiero car club and head over to Pennocks web site (google it) which is the biggest Fiero Forum on the web. Thousands of articles on Fieros, Cars and Parts for sale also. This forum is also a good resource as it has its own section for Fieros that you can post your questions.

The Niagara Fiero Club maintains the largest selection of current and up to date Fiero clubs on the Net (shameless plug) if you are not aware of a local club to you.

Best of luck and if you have any questions, just post here and I'll try to help.

Regards,

Niagara Fieros

20190907_144214.jpg

Jim Zeraldo

Reaction score
Hey guys. I just joined and am happy to be a part of this forum and have a few general questions about the Fiero. I am looking to buy my first Fiero very shortly. I have been looking for months at Fieros that are for sale. I plan to use this car as just a fun summer car and probably wont rack up a huge amount of miles each year. I'm leaning towards something in the 10000 to 20000 mile range with a manual transmission. I'll be looking to spend up to $10,000 or possibly a little more. Unfortunately I don't know anyone who owns a Fiero. When I talk to people about this car, I keep hearing that the car is junk, some catch on fire, and always need fixing. I wanted to ask you guys what your personal experiences have been since buying yours. I'm hoping to hear good news. I've seen some really sharp 84's with super low miles. Does it really matter whether you go with the 4 speed manual from 1984 or go with the 5 speed that came in the 85's and up, or the v-4 vs the v-6. Personally I seem to like the look of the Formula the best, but they seem to be very hard to find and a little more than I want to spend. Basically I'm just looking for some advice on what to look for when buying one. I would really be happy with any model of them, as long as the car does not require a small fortune to maintain. I mentioned I was looking for something with low miles with a very clean exterior and interior. I would think if you bought something with those specifics, that you would be ok except for routine maintenance. Any advice for a new buyer would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Hi Chris, the Fiero is a great car. Don't listen to all the haters out there. These cars are fun to drive and easy to work on and will bring you years of driving pleasure. If you are looking for info on how to pick a good Fiero check out www.everythingthatscoolfiero.com for a good report on the subject. It will help put things in perspective for you.

Eliz123

Reaction score
[QU
Hi Chris.. just wondering if you are still looking to buy a Fiero? I’m selling a 1986 with 128,000 miles.. 5 speed .. thanks!

Monzaguy

Reaction score
The 4 speed cars have to ( and do run high RPM) cruising on the hiway, thus a 5 speed is the way to go. Personally I'd stay away from the 84s mainly because they're all 4 cylinder cars, unless they've been swapped. Swapped cars are a whole different ball game. Being that the swap may not have been done in a professional manner, etc, etc. and with so many swaps being done these days on these cars your never to sure what your getting yourself into. That's not to say there isn't decent ones around. Sticking to the 2.8 Fiero, there's only two body types. That being the GT, and the SE. The 88 GT is the top of the line and of coarse the 88 Formula. Both have the best suspension
that Pontiac produced, for the FIERO. A handful ( not many) came with power steering, both in 87 and 88. Talk about being hard to find????? 85 was the first model yr of the 2.8 V6.
85s are easily recognized because they had in seat speakers. It was the only yr they were available. Under dash subwoofer was also available as an option.

IndyFiero

Reaction score
Hi,
I have an all original 1984 Fiero that I am considering selling. The power train is all original as well and never altered. It also has under 20K original miles. I will sell it at $15,500. as I really don't want to part with it. However, if your serious about owning an original Pontiac Fiero this might be the one for you. The interesting part of my Fiero is that it is the Indy Pace Car edition of which only 2,000 were made. In addition only about 10% (approx. 200 units) were made with the 4 speed transmission & mine happens to be the 4 speed.
Let me know your thoughts on this?
John

cammerjeff

Reaction score
The original poster has not been back sense 2019, I don't think you will get a response. But you never know.