• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

no dash warning lights

87pontiac

Canada
1998 Pontiac Sunfire
345,100 km
2.2L Auto
No Command Start Installed
No Passlock Bypass aka resistor
Tilt Steering

This is an intermitant problem that occurs regardless of temperature

-When key is turned to RUN there is no warning lights on instument cluster (no security,abs,check engine, check gauges,airbag, indicators...etc but illumination lights work)
-When key is turned to START, engine starts then stops 2 seconds after.
- When instrument cluster panel is removed/installed warning indicators work.

Also when this problem occurs, I hit the top of the dash just above the TACH/TEMP gauges really hard and the indicators come on allowing the car to start and run. (Yeah I know......but it works)

Loose connection somewhere, so what powers the indicators or is it that PASSLOCK does not see the SECURITY warning indicator lit so it prevents the car from starting? Looking for a detailed wiring diagram or someones input on this annoying problem.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
PassLock has nothing to do with the warning lights. You may have a bad connection in the cluster or a bad circuit board in the cluster. Did you scan for any codes?

87pontiac

Canada
Scanned but no codes . A schematic would help greatly to trace the wires to the Instrument Cluster. Also why would a dead cluster prevent the engine from staying running? Whats the connection? If the warning indicators dont come on, the car starts ,runs for 2-3 seconds, then dies. Warning Indicators lit up, engine starts, stays running.

87pontiac

Canada
As for the cluster yes I simply unbolt it lay it on the steering wheel still connected. Put it back in placee and car runs. Whats n the cluster thars prevents the car from running?

87pontiac

Canada
Well i think the problem is the cluster because removed it and reconnected it and played with he wires and the connector and all indicators stayed lit, but when tapped on the temp gauge they flickered. So next step is to disassemble cluster.
Looking for decent tutorial on this, any links available?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Lots of videos on removal and install but typically another one is found in a salvage yard and swapped in.