no power ...

Rubberman

Indiana
I think I have a bad coil and it was misfiring but when I was trying to start it everything went dead, no power at all. no lights at all on dash. nothing works. Battery is 12.5v, I get those same volts to the fuse box, all fuses are good. Only thing I can think of is the fusable link???

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Did you do anything while working on the coil that would cause this?
Did you disconnect the battery before working on the coils?

Rubberman

Indiana
Dang. negative cable wasn't tight. so stupid.

But I do have a misfire on cylinder 1 and 3. I was thinking coil pack but the firing order is 1-3-4-2 so that means both coil packs bad?

crank position sensor?

Last edited:

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
See this link and the other help topics on the site

Rubberman

Indiana
I don’t have those special tools. What if I pull the ignition cover off while leaving it plugged in. Stick the spark plugs in and ground the threads then start it. It should show spark if the coils are working.

Rubberman

Indiana
I grounded the plugs and they are sparking when I turn the key. I also smell gas and the piston tops are wet so its getting fuel. Im stumped on this. I hope it didn't jump timing

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
How do you know 1 and 3 arent firing?
Do you have P0300 or P0301 or P0303?

Rubberman

Indiana
Currently no codes except for the speed sensor in the wheels.

I was spraying a mist of gas into the throttle body while my wife was trying to start it and that didn’t help. Blew flames out the throttle body.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Have you done a fuel pressure test?
Have you done a compression test?
Did you have a noisy timimg chain before this problem?

Rubberman

Indiana
No noisy timing chain before hand. Im
Gonna have to buy a compression test kit.
She said she was in the drive thru, it start running rough then died.

I just replaced the fuel pump within this past month

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
The kit you rent needs an adapter.

Rubberman

Indiana
ok after thinking more and cranking the car. DTC B2965 finally pops up. I also noticed that with the key in the ignition I can take the key out at ACC or RUN. Also with the scanner it shows the voltage at the ignition is a constant 2.33volts. What I have read is that the voltage should be 5v without a key and as soon as you stick a key in and turn it drops to around 1.5 volts. The previous owner said he bypassed the security but I'm not sure because the yellow and black wire off the BCM doesn't the the resistor soldered on. Im thinking with the B2965 code, key coming out at all positions and the weird voltage I'm thinking the ignition lock cylinder is worn out and preventing the car from starting. I read that 2 secs after starting it will kill the injectors which makes since when it acts like it will start then not. I ordered a ignition cylinder off amazon along with the 2200 ohm resistor.

Rubberman

Indiana
well I don't think it worked either. I replaced the ignition cylinder and the ignition housing. Left key in ON position for 10 mins and tried starting. Not getting good starts cause the starter decided to take a dump. Its spinning but not catching the flywheel so I'm gonna get a junkyard starter tomorrow and see what the cranking does. Im about at my wits end with this.