• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

Noise is driving me nuts.

waynep

Greer SC
I have a 69 lemans with a 350 engine and a/t. My family has owned this car since new so I know its orginal engine and transmission. When I start the car everything is good. After the car warms up it develops a clatter. I have been told it sounds like a heat riser clattering in the exhaust manifold. This car Does Not have a heat riser. I have been told the fan is hitting the fan shroud. No. Took shroud off and noise still there. I have been told check the flywheel. I have checked all the flywheel bolts and does not appear to have any cracks. Usually I hear the noise when starting off from a red light or stop sign. On occasions the noise does occur at idle...... Noise happens when the car is in drive or in park. I have went by some of my local mechanics and they also are at a loss to what my noise is. Anyone have any ideas???????

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Using a rubber hose as a stethoscope narrow down the area of the engine creating the noise. Remove the oil filler cap and the breather tube in the two valve covers to see if the noise is from the valves.
What weight engine oil are you using?
How many miles on the engine?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
OK, use the hoe as I described to find the source of the noise. Your other choice is to find a mechanic who is familiar with older cars.