Not Runninng

G

G-473760

basically my fiero runs and then dies about 5 seconds later, at first the throttle cable got stuck, fixed that, then lost fuel going to the engine and spark, so replaced spark plugs and cables, ignition control module, all did nothing, until I replaced the ignition coil, which then finally started up the engine for about 5 seconds, I then thought it was an something with the battery, I then left it on a battery charger for about a day and a half, I then tried again, same result, I tried to jump it and same result started then died, I have now replaced the battery completely, brand new battery and still nothing, I have no idea what could be next and I was wondering if someone had gone through the same issue

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Have you tested for fuel pressure?
You are sure you have good spark at the plugs?
You are sure you didn't mix up the plug wires?

omologato

Reaction score
You need fuel, air, spark and compression.

Running for a short period and shutting off tells me to test fuel systems first because if it was spark or ignition it most likely wouldn't start.

When it starts does it run smooth or really rough for the 5 seconds?

My very first test would be hook up a fuel pressure gauge and see where it's at when it starts to run, could be a clogged fuel filter that can't keep up with fuel demand which would show a drop in pressure after the engine starts. With a drop in fuel pressure the fuel can't atomize out of the throttle body injector.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Unfortunately the original post was a guest, so unless he bothers to check on his own, he won't be notified of any of our suggestions.

Phoenix1508

Reaction score
Wires and plugs are good I did check them, fuel pressure is something I haven't checked so I will get around to doing that, and then I will check the fuel filter as well thank you guys for the suggestions

omologato

Reaction score
Unfortunately the original post was a guest, so unless he bothers to check on his own, he won't be notified of any of our suggestions.

I don't get the majority of the guests or even people that join and post then never come back even to tell us if their issues are resolved.

Another partial complaint on my behalf is if a guest wants help they don't have a member page with information about their car so they should tell us their year, make, model package, engine etc... so we can help them better.

Then there is the fact that many times before a person even reaches out for help they have already replaced A, B, C, D, E, F................. in parts plus all the time invested. I think to myself if they just brought the car to someone that knows what they are doing it would have been done by now at a fraction of the price. That and the person you hired to fix the car earns a living. Of course this is only an issue if your goal is saving money by fixing your own automobile. That's typically the reason I see people taking on the task. I just never advise throwing parts at cars.

I suppose we are their last resort out of desperation in resolving their car woes. I feel bad, I just want to help and save people some money is all.

1984fierofan

Reaction score
basically my fiero runs and then dies about 5 seconds later, at first the throttle cable got stuck, fixed that, then lost fuel going to the engine and spark, so replaced spark plugs and cables, ignition control module, all did nothing, until I replaced the ignition coil, which then finally started up the engine for about 5 seconds, I then thought it was an something with the battery, I then left it on a battery charger for about a day and a half, I then tried again, same result, I tried to jump it and same result started then died, I have now replaced the battery completely, brand new battery and still nothing, I have no idea what could be next and I was wondering if someone had gone through the same issue
Have you tried checking to make sure the carb hasn't lost it's prime? No Reserve: 38-Years-Owned 1984 Pontiac Fiero SE Indy Pace Car Edition 4-Speed