Oil and filter types for 326

Stretch

New member here. Reading maybe too many things across different links regarding oil. Some say stay conventional with my 64' 326, others say absolutely go with a full synthetic.
Just trying to get some experienced opinions from Pontiac owners. Thinking of going with Mobil 1 and filter. That's another - the info re filter model is all over the maps too.
Thanks

92 Sunbird LE

Any oil with a added zinc additive bottle should do you fine....I use Blended ( half conventional/ half synethic oil in my older 90's GM vehicles.

Any filter other than Fram orange ones will do also..

Doug in P.R. :cool:

cammerjeff

I would stay away from full synthetic on any car of that vintage, the seals were not made with synthetic oil in mind, they may or may not work well with it. You will not know until you do it. Its a bit of a roll of the dice.

Alot of the older seals need the additives in the conventional oils to sort of swell to keep from leaking. X2 on the oil with Zinc (or ZZP ) additive to protect the flat tappet cam & lifters. I agree on the filter advise given by Doug.

I have seen Pontiac V8's that did not leak more than a couple drops out the rear main seal with conventional oil, them the owner switched to full synthetic and it started leaking heavy from the front and rear main seals, and the oil pan seal.

I would just stick wit a Conventional oil of the correct type with the zinc additive.

Stretch

Thanks for the advice. I've been a little hesitant to use the synthetic. Don't need any leaks to chase.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Personally I use Valvoline VR1 10W30, silver bottle, no additive needed, in a 71 Pontiac and 69 Chevrolet.
I also use the HP series of Fram filters, HP2 for Pontiac, they are not the same as the average Fram filter.

Stretch

Personally I use Valvoline VR1 10W30, silver bottle, no additive needed, in a 71 Pontiac and 69 Chevrolet.
I also use the HP series of Fram filters, HP2 for Pontiac, they are not the same as the average Fram filter.
Valvoline has been a solid oil for me for years. Thanks. Now just to find a tie rod assembly......