Opening hood without the release

Margrock

Reaction score
My hood release handle broke off in my hand and is not working. I went to get an oil change and they were not able to open the hood. I'm wondering if there is a way to do this until I can get the release replaced. Thanks!

92 Sunbird LE

Reaction score
What broke ? The handle inside the cabin? If that is the case, then a pair of Vice Grips or pliers to grab the end of the cable.

Cable itself? Underneath the car, up in front of the radiator....not easily done...

Doug in P.R.šŸ˜Ž

Margrock

Reaction score
Gotcha. I'm not sure where it's broken. But, the guys who tried to change my oil could not get the hood open. Is it even possible to reach it from underneath?

92 Sunbird LE

Reaction score
Latches are on each side by the front of the doors.. under the hood.. Not up front ( sorry ) as I mentioned earlier... This video should help....

Doug in P.R.

Margrock

Reaction score
Thanks, that was informative. But, I can't get the hood to open. The driver's side will unlatch (on its own sometimes) but the passenger side will not. I was hoping there might be a trick to get this open. I just need to get some things done like an oil change, before I can even think about replacing the release and cables. I appreciate your help!

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Thanks, that was informative. But, I can't get the hood to open. The driver's side will unlatch (on its own sometimes) but the passenger side will not. I was hoping there might be a trick to get this open. I just need to get some things done like an oil change, before I can even think about replacing the release and cables. I appreciate your help!
You cannt change the oil if the hood doesn't open!

Margrock

Reaction score
Exactly. But, I was hoping there's a way (a "trick") to get it open to get an ail change, etc. before I have the release and cables replaced. Like, you know, how Fonzie banged on the jukebox to get a record to play. Yes, I'm that old.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Exactly. But, I was hoping there's a way (a "trick") to get it open to get an ail change, etc. before I have the release and cables replaced. Like, you know, how Fonzie banged on the jukebox to get a record to play. Yes, I'm that old.
No magic way, you need to have it fixed otherwise no way of access to engine.