Overheat warning

Cavell

I have 07 torrent I just got due to overheating issue. I have done 4 equinoxes for heads and this is first torrent. start suv and get instant overheat message. And coolant gauge is Cold. Never moves. I get service stabilitrak, abs, tcs and even tpms system. And hot motor-ac is off. Been driving it for 3-4 days and motor is not overheating. So, is this a cluster issue and a ecm issue combined? Been told do NOT change cluster or I will have a security issue? True?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Have you done a scan of any of the systems before assuming a cluster issue?
TPMS could be a pressure sensor with a dead battery.
Stab, ABS, TCS, could all be caused by a bad wheel sensor.
Find out if your temperature sensor is working.

Cavell

No scan yet. So, temp gauge reads stone cold. but message says overheat? if sensor is not working why does car say overheat? And cooling fans run constantly on high.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Try to solve one issue at a time, ground the sensor connector to see if you get a gauge reading.

Cavell

Sensor wire has voltage? 5v? You can’t ground that. Computer won’t like it.
my equinox has yellow wire and orange/bulk wire. Is torrent the same?
thought there was loop? Supply is 5v and return leg varies based on sensor impedance?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You are correct, I shouldn't answer questions late at night.
Did you test the resistance of the sender?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Do you have a Tech II or similar scan tool?

Cavell

No I don’t. Has tach issue too. Was at 8k with motor off. I opened up lens and rotated it back to zero. Worked ok for a few days. yesterday it was 4K when it should have been 2k. Today with motor off it is sitting at 2k. battery voltage is 14v at startup. Alt is working.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
These links have Torrents with same temperature issue and they seem to think part of the problem is the thermostat.

Cavell

I could not open the links. If it is thermostat related, it is mechanical? Why would I get a dash message saying overheat? I went to AZ to use their code reader. I have no codes. Oriellys has a nicer Bosch reader. Might go over there.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
AZ readers only read ECM codes, not BCM or ABS, etc.
In addition the readers do not perform the diagnostics that a Tech II type device will perform.

Cavell

Orielly Bosch unit does do abs or whatever. It said I had a bad wheel bearing sensor/input? that’s where I found my abs issue on last equinox.
so, pay a shop to tell me I need a new cluster?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Exellent, replace the wheel bearing and reset.
If you are doing so many vehicles seems like you should invest in a good diagnostic tool.

Cavell

I meant to say, I used the Bosch reader on another suv. Not the current torrent. The Bosch unit is better then my $50 reader but I don’t know what it can do.
said RF bearing had issue. Fixed it abs light went away
for 3 months. Now it’s back

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Could be one of the others, probably original.

Cavell

read some threads where person asked if they could drive car with no cluster installed. Answer was=not recommended. If I have a bad/shorted cluster, would removing have any effect on cars operation? Like, would the cooling fans not run at start like they do now? Would ac work? Since motor is hot and is telling car to not run ac?

Last edited:

Cavell

Got better code reader. Have 0118 ect circuit and 0128 ect too low. Engine temp was 140 after 15 min drive. Cleared codes and temp gauge works. Ac works. 10 min idle produced 160f temp. Drove home and ac turned off and gauge reads cold.
oh and RF wheel sensor circuit. For abs and tcs and stabilitrak issues?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
You are supposed to at minimum have 195 on a warmed up engine so sounds like thermostat issue.
RF sensor would turn those lights on.

Cavell

Took out thermostat. It was stuck open. Replaced it. Went to store as my kid has code reader. Store said 0405 egr circuit. Ac works fine. Drove home. Ac works. Went to grocery store. Ac still works. As does temp gauge.