overheating problem in a 2008 torrent

reble

Kennewick, Wa
This is about a 2008 Torrent SUV. About a week ago my self and 3 friends were sitting outside Jack in a Box eatting. The motor was going and the A/C was on. All of a sudden the overheating bell started sounding. I turned the motor off, turned the A/C off, rolled the windows down . There was a puddle of antifreeze on the ground. I filled the over flow tank with water, I always keep a gl jug of water in the back of the rig, old habit. I got the rig home. I though I just wasn't watching the antifreeze level very good. Today my self and my room mate had things to do. The A/C was on today and the overheat bell started sounding on the frwy. I pulled over to the shoulder to let it cool off. Going across town and back with the A/C off. We had to stop many times to put water in. The overflow tank looks older then Mount Rushmore. It is dirty, the inside walls are full of crude. The cooling system has run with no problems for as long as I have had the SUV, about 2 to 3 years. There is a small leak on the ground. And at the Rite Aid stop I heard a steam type hissing on the right side of the engine block. Between the engine block and the over flow tank. I have been looking into a problem with no cabin heat. To that end I had the heater core blown out and the thermostat changed. I think the temperature door in the dash is stuck in the A/C side. But now I have a bigger problem then no cabin heat. Any ideas?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
The new thermostat may be defective.
You had the heater core blown out, you mean with air, not flushed?
You should have the complete cooling system cleaned based on your description.
The system also has to be pressure tested including the cap.

reble

Kennewick, Wa
The SUV ran for a bit over a month on the new thermostat with no problems. But this is the 1st heavy heat wave of the year. The mechanic that I use knows his stuff. I will call the mechanic on Monday. Your right, he may have gotten ahold of a bad thermostat and didn't know it. Now I don't know if he blue out the heater core with air or if it was flushed out. That I will have to check on, on Monday.
I will have to take a lot of water with me when I go tp pick a part to try and get a new overflow tank. Pick a Part is way to far from the nearest bus stop even in the best weather conductions for walking for me to walk. And I plain to shop around for the best price for flushing the cooling system. I need my SUV running ok. I live in West Richland, Wa at almost the end of the line for the 120 transit bus.

The new thermostat may be defective.
You had the heater core blown out, you mean with air, not flushed?
You should have the complete cooling system cleaned based on your description.
The system also has to be pressure tested including the cap.