Own a 78 trans am getting ready to restore how much Tylenol do I need on hand?

TooMuchStuff

Reaction score
I bought the beast in late 78 with about 6500 miles on it. Drove it off and on through 93 then it was garaged. Never touched since. Has approx 135,000 miles on it. Automatic. 400 Pontiac engine. Had some track fun in the mid 80’s with it. Nothing done to it and got 13 second quarters with it. Lucky I live in desert and it’s got little to no rust issues. But…. Restoring this beast…. I know a project , even with good qualified help, I am gonna be dealing with it. Anyone had a grand ol’ time with their restore? What am I in for???

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Other than fresh fluids what is it you intend to restore?

G

G-356593

I am sure that after being parked for 30 years it will need to have engine rebuilt. Transmission possibly too. Gaskets all hoses and anything rubber. In the desert in Az we get hot. Oven hot. So even though interior looked good when it went in garage, it may need that as well. Luckily it’s never been in collisions so I don’t have that worry but paint I know is in the Beasts future. Do I need to worry about parts availability? I am restoring it for weekend fun car not to auction at Barrett Jackson! But I do want to do it right the first time. Because I don’t want to do it over again.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
Remove plugs, squirt oil into cylinders, let sit for 24 hours, turn over by hand, replace plugs and battery. Fresh gasoline and other fluids, try to start. Would not assume it needs a rebuild. Same with transmission, drain all fluid including torque converter, fresh fluid and filter. Most parts should still be available in aftermarket.

TOG1937

Reaction score
Finding parts should not be a big problem. If the body is nice (no rust) you are very far ahead of the game. Doing it right the first time is always less expensive Vs an "inexpensive" (cheap) less than quality job and paying twice to do it right.
BTDT

after.jpg