Parking brake

Johnnyj

I have a 72 Lemans that I bough with no parking brake cables installed. I purchased a kit from AMES but it came wit no directions or diagram.
Is there instructions and diagram available for the installation of the new cables??

Johnnyj

Does anyone know a way to remove front parking brake cable without separating the inner wall from the front fender??

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
why would you have to seperate the inner fender from the outer fender to change the cable?
You dont have access from under the car?
did you get a copy of the factory service manual showing the cable installation and instructions on how to remove and replace?

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
my applogizes concerning the inner fender and fender sounds like they have to come off or be partially detached.
the procedure for the front cable is
1. Release parking brake
2. Remove equalizer check nut and seperate cable stud from equalizer.
3. Remove clip from cable at inner side of frame rail.
4. Remove end of cable from pedal clevis.
5. Position left fender and inner fender panel to allow access to cable.
6. Compress expanded conduit locking fingers at toe pan and withdraw cable from under car.

Install
1. Position cable and conduit tip through cutout in firewall, Make sure conduit locking fingers are fully expanded and secured in cutout, then position cable retainer into pedal clevis.
2. Feed threaded end of cable through frame rail and secure with retainer on inner side of frame.
3. Replace inner fender panel and fender.
4.Place on check nut on cable stud and insert stud through equalizer (make sure center cable is in position) then place check nut on stud.
5. Adjust parking brake.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.