PLEASE HELP Car won’t shift and stays running when u turn it off

Anicole40

Reaction score
Please help!! Originally 2002 Pontiac Grand Prix gtp had a little hard time shifting from 3 to 4th it did just kinda slow, took it too a friend ha thought that was smart he did say trany was clean so as far as I know he changed the solenoids did mention something getting ruined idk now the car will not turn off once u turn key off and u can pull keys out and whatever but that’s another question anyways it won’t shift out if 1st either way manually or automatically and then like I said car stays running after u shut it off

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
When you place the shifter in D for drive, does the car move forward?
How do you know the car doest shift out of 1st when the shifter is in Drive?

From your description of the car not shutting off, the ignition switch maybe broken.

Anicole40

Reaction score
OK so now the problem is this you can start the car you can put the car in reverse and reverse works fine if you put the car in low you can hear a kick in the low now if you put the car in the driver overdrive Easter driving down the road it doesn’t shift out of first gear it stays in first gear and just revs up it won’t change however prior to the mechanic doing anything to the car all those gears work just fine except it would not shift into overdrive what was up into the last gear in the fourth

Anicole40

Reaction score
And I do think with the ignition part you’re right but we’re trying to figure out now the transmission part first in the morning about the electrical part later

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
You need to take it back to a mechanic who is familiar with transmission shift solenoids. If you cannt drive it without causing more damage to the engine or transmission it will have to be towed.