Pontiac 6000

U

Unregistered

1987 Pontiac 6000 owner

I am the owner of a 1987 Pontiac 6000. So far its proven to be a very reliable car. Cheap transportation, if anything happens to it, parts exist everywhere. I was lucky, I bought it off an elderly lady 5 months ago who gave up her license. Only had 72,000 original kilometers, it now just reached 84,000. I bought it off her for $900 she really wanted to get rid of the car. From stories that I hear these cars last 300,000 plus kilometers. Anyone who sees my car tells me stories of their past 6000 or past 6000 stories from someone they knew, all of them similar. These cars never die, they just keep going and going so apparantly i'm going to have mine for many years to come. The base model is very basic though, bench seat, no A/C, AM radio with only 2 front speakers, no power windows or door locks, gage cluster only has a speedometer and the fuel gage. The look of the car is exact same body as the Buick Century of the 1980's and the Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera of the 1980's, from 1982 to 1988 the pontiac 6000, Chevrolet Celebrity, Buick Century, and Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera shared the same body, only difference was the tail lights, front lights, grille, and the interior, and of course the name of the car. I have pictures of my car, I dont know how to post them though.

T

theblackbyrd

need help with 6000's ecm

my pontiac 6000 le stalled and the mechanic says it had a busted ecm fuse.. when replaced it started fine... will it go out again and what causes that???

Unregistered said:
I have pictures of my car, I dont know how to post them though.
First off, you have to register. That will grant you the ability to post attachments.

Then, when you reply to a post, or create a new topic, click on the icon above the text box that has the mountains and sun (and yellow sky). Insert the location (URL) of your picture - it has to be online (there are several online photo storage sites, I use Photobucket) - and click OK. You'll see script in your reply/comment that will tell the board where to get your picture, and it will insert it.

Pretty simple, but it takes a bit to understand unless you've done it a few times. Hope to see pics of the car!

theblackbyrd said:
my pontiac 6000 le stalled and the mechanic says it had a busted ecm fuse.. when replaced it started fine... will it go out again and what causes that???
It's electronic, so yeah, it could happen. The question is if this is the first time that it's gone out. If so, then I wouldn't worry too much about it going out anytime soon. If it isn't, then possibly there's a deeper issue with your wiring. Fuses are designed to protect circuitry from conditions that would damage them (overloads, etc.). What exactly caused your fuse to blow may never be known, unless you've got more information you can give us. It's kind of a generic question, so I can only give a generic answer.

G

grandbonnevillecreature

Until very recently I drove a 1984 Chevy Celebrity, much like the 6000 in almost every regard. It was powered by a gas-sipping 2.5 built by Pontiac. The way I understand it, all the A-body cars (GM's designation for the 6000 and its twins) were built on the same lines in a few different plants, but I don't think it was broken up by company specifically. My Celeb was a good car with 96,000 original miles. I bought it in Feb 2005 for $750 and sold it to wife's coworker for $500 when I was desperate for cash, in between checks. Since then a small inheritance landed me my new toy, the 1983 Bonneville I now own. I hope everyone has as good an expierience with their 6000's as I did with my Celeb. They're great, simple cars. Also, check out the Chevy Celebrity club of America (a yahoo forum group) for more A-body info and fans.

G

grandbonnevillecreature

If anyone is interested, I could post some of my Celebrity shots here. Yeah, it isn't a PONTI on the outside, but under the hood it is. Just let me know if anyone wants them here!

D

Dog

Thats my 89 6000 STE all wheel drive. the interior has so many gadgets I don't know how to work half of them. It is posh for the day to the point of having power headrests and 3 inflatable cushions in the seat backs on both front buckets. Sporty 3.1 engine with a factory cold air intake. The car is fulltime all wheel drive with a low lock. It has the cadillac electronic controlled air ride. i wasn't real enthused until I drove it on some curve roads. It wears Perellis for a reason. For an 80s sedan its sexy.

U

Unregistered

help with 89 pontiac 6000 3.1l please!!!

swapped the factory radio for a cd player and the radio cuts out now if i turn on the headlights so i hooked up the factory radio again and now the display screen doesnt come on and the stations wont come in anyone know anything it could be?? please help!!!

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.