• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Pontiac owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Pontiac grand prix revs up but no go

U

unthinkable24

I Have a Pontiac Grand prix 94 3100 v6. i step on the Gas and i hear it revup but it doesnt go it take it a while then it picks up.I checked the bottom and i see some fluid leaking. I also checked the transmission fluid and it looks burnt. And also like a week ago the engine fell dew to a pot whole and a MY DAD doing a badjob on screwing my bolt on tight.

so do i need a new tranny or do i need to put a new filter on it. it just started doing this friday and has not been drivin ever since.

also if i need to put the filter HOW THE HELLL DO I DO THAT.

87 GP

Reaction score
Sounds like you burned the clutches in the tranny. Does it go in reverse? You could try changing the fluid and filter. Check the fluid level and add enough to get to the full mark with the engine running. Then try drive and reverse and see if the car moves forward or in reverse. If it does, you may be OK with a fluid/filter change, if not it may be time for a rebuild or a used tranny. Don't keep revving the engine trying to get the car to move. As soon as you start the engine the tranny pump is pumping fluid throughout the tranny. If it's low, all you are doing is overheating the tranny and killing it.
Good luck! Hopefully it's not that far gone.

87 GP

Reaction score
Oh yeah, to change the fluid/filter you will need to remove the pan and replace the filter and use a new gasket on the pan. Be careful if you use any gasket sealer! Just use a small amount to hold the gasket to the pan. Don't let any be squeezed into the tranny. It will clog the valve body.

Loosen the bolts on the pan starting in one corner and then gently pry the pan away from the tranny so the fluid drains out from one corner of the pan. Don't bend the pan and be prepared to catch the old fluid in a good sized drain pan. When the fluid stops flowing remove the pan. More fluid will come out when you do so again be prepared. Clean the inside of the pan with carb cleaner or brake cleaner and wipe dry and allow to air out. Glue your new gasket to the pan. You won't need sealer on the gasket to tranny. Don't try to clean inside the tranny! Just R&R the filter and install the pan. You probably should also drain the torque convertor if the fluid is burnt. Remove the cover between the engine and tranny and just tap the starter until the drain plug on the convertor is at the bottom. Remove the plug and allow the fluid to drain. Be sure to add at 5-6 quarts before starting the engine. Then just add to a little below the full mark. Check for leaks and restart the engine and bring the level up to the full mark.