Pontiac Grand Prix

Sal Collaziano

Staff member
I wanted a GTP for years. I never did get one. How about you? Do you own a Grand Prix? Have any pictures? Please post 'em up if you do...

87 GP

ny
Hi guys, just joined.
I just picked up an 87 GP. Car shows 71,000 miles and has original paint, vinyl top and interior. It even has the original GM radiator hoses! It's a base GP with a 305 4bbl code H chevy engine. It has working ice cold a/c(r12) and tilt and cruise, am/fm cassete. No p/w, pdl, or rear defogger. Car has original ralleye wheels but new tires. It weighs about 3200# and chirps in all gears.
I'll try to post some pics. Guess you need to use "go advanced" or maybe photobucket?

Sal Collaziano

Staff member
Looks nice! Great condition.. Thanks for posting pictures.. Most people never do for some reason.. How's it running for you?

P.S. You should be able to use the "attachment" feature to post pictures.. The option isn't there for the "quick reply", though. Only the full "post reply" button will get you to that feature...

87 GP

ny
It's running pretty good. I just did plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Seems like it has a slight miss when it warms up. Not really sure why. I haven't driven much since I did the plugs, etc, maybe about 10-15 miles. Never got around to checking the timing. It was getting dark when I was finishing up that night and I couldn't find the timing marks. I think the timing is adjustable on an 87 305 chevy motor, isn't it? I'll check again if it ever stops raining on the weekends! I just picked a set of Bilstein shocks that I haven't installed yet. Maybe If the weather holds out, I'll get them done over the weekend. I also ordered a Hotchkiss rear sway bar, hopefully that'll control some of the roll.

Sal Collaziano

Staff member
I'm not sure about the timing on those.. Sorry.. I'm sure the miss can't be too difficult to work out, though. Those cars are pretty easy to work on and diagnose...

87 GP

ny
Threw on a set of Bilstein shocks today. Really improved the ride! Still had the original delco shocks. Rear sway bar should be coming on Tuesday. Looking forward to adding that.

Last edited:

87 GP

ny
Sal
It rides firmer but not stiff. On ruts or pot holes that I really felt before, they are barely noticeable now. The shocks also controll alot of the body roll. I think the rear sway bar should take care of what little is left.

87 GP

ny
Before the tires would fall fast into a pothole. Now it feels like it's not as hard a hit.
The sway bar is on now too. That really keeps the back flat.

I had a 85 Cutlass, and I did the following:

1. 442 Bars/Springs/Cop Car B-Body front shocks.
2. Relocate battery to the trunk.

Relo the battery was the most rewarding thing I have ever done. I did it on my T/A and my Cutlass and it REALLY improved the ride and handling!!

It isn't for everyone, but it is worth it in the corners!

2-tone

for your 87 you could Install the 400 or 455. just get the mounts for the older gp/lemans with the 301.the monte carlo ss / hurst olds has a posi with the 3.73 rear that is a direct bolt up. also you can get the aluminum drums for the 78-80 gp/lemans for your car. the raerest GP? 1972 hurst SSJ. six were made 5 were gold and white....ONE was gold and black.

87 GP

ny
2-Tone
A 455 in a g-body? Better use platnum plugs. Can't be easy to work on that motor in there. That would need a turbo 400 tranny too? Would the driveshaft need to be shortened?
Would probably need bigger brakes, front and rear also. Have you done one of these swaps? Would the a/c box at the firewall still fit? What about front springs?
I would think a worked 350 would easier and have more power? Same overall size as the 305, I think?

I know about the rear. Any idea what a fair price would be for one? How about the Buick Grand National? Was that the same rear?

2-tone

off hand I cant remember if the gran national rear is a 3.73 gear. I have seen a 400 c.i. poncho in one of your bodystyles. the 400 and 455 is the same size block. the rear plug on the passenger side can be a challange to change on this setup. a 350 turbo trans will hold up just fine behind a big poncho motor and will drop in without mods to the driveshaft . people have droped in a 500c.i. 1970 eldorodo motor in the G-body. I have personally seen a 87 monte carlo with a 500 c.i caddy blow the doors off a 502 HO crate motor in another monte. the caddy was bone stock with 90,000 + miles freshlly pulled out of a rust bucket body. talk about bang for buck! mind ya this set up had a 3.08 gear torque wins races horse powar sells cars. :cool: -B-

Last edited:
V

VixenTA

Very nice older GP there...
I really like the previous models from the 2004....
These bad boys can make great power...not bad for FWD
and the engines are wonderful.... :)

I have unfortunately not been able to get into the 13's yet, but hopefully will be able to. The GTP is going to be our show car (best of both worlds) :) Is in a major make over right now, right now just gets driven around and kept in use minimally, due to vandalism :mad: which really irritates me....but anyway, the journey should be worthwhile....

U

Unregistered

2-tone said:
for your 87 you could Install the 400 or 455. just get the mounts for the older gp/lemans with the 301.the monte carlo ss / hurst olds has a posi with the 3.73 rear that is a direct bolt up. also you can get the aluminum drums for the 78-80 gp/lemans for your car. the raerest GP? 1972 hurst SSJ. six were made 5 were gold and white....ONE was gold and black.
HI,I AM NEW TO THIS SITE,ARE YOU SURE ABOUT ONLY 6 72 HURST GRAND PRIXS.i HAVE ONE I THINK IS VERY RARE IT WAS SPECIAL ORDERED WITH OPTIONS LIKE MOBILE PHONE,RACE COMPUTER AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT A REFRIGERATOR IN THE TRUNK.tHE BACK SEAT MIDDLE ARMREST FOLDS DOWN TO ACCESS THE REFRIG.I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK OR SITES YOU COULD HELP ME WITH.NY EMAIL AD. IS rollbacksilverado@yahoo.com
i could use any info that is pertinate.Thanks Johnny

Unregistered said:
HI,I AM NEW TO THIS SITE,ARE YOU SURE ABOUT ONLY 6 72 HURST GRAND PRIXS.i HAVE ONE I THINK IS VERY RARE IT WAS SPECIAL ORDERED WITH OPTIONS LIKE MOBILE PHONE,RACE COMPUTER AND BELIEVE IT OR NOT A REFRIGERATOR IN THE TRUNK.tHE BACK SEAT MIDDLE ARMREST FOLDS DOWN TO ACCESS THE REFRIG.I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY FEEDBACK OR SITES YOU COULD HELP ME WITH.NY EMAIL AD. IS rollbacksilverado@yahoo.com
i could use any info that is pertinate.Thanks Johnny
Johnny, I'd love to see pictures of that!:)

U

Unregistered

Yes you can adjust timing on them also about your miss fire does it go away when you bring it above idle? If it does your probably looking at a bad intake gasket.

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.