Poor running issues

tomsza

Looking for some insight to my engine running problem.

History:
My wife and I purchase our 1994 Transport in 1996 with 70k of the clock (3.1l). It started out as my wife's primary vehicle. Currently my wife is now driving a Honda Odyssey and the Transport has been delegated to my portable RC plane hanger.

The Problem:
Starting last year, the engine began running rough and I would get a Service Engine light up. It does this during mid RPM duty. At WOT and idle there's usually no issues. But at coast, or at constant speed, I'll get stumbling/surging. I've gone to local Autozones and such and their diagnostic equipment was no help.

I am very mechanically inclined, and have done all the maintenance on the Transport with the exception of the transmission flush in 2000 and wheel alignments. I have opened up the fuel pressure regulator and the diaphragm looked good (no tears or leaks).

Any insight?

tomsza

Codes:
22 - Throttle position (TP) sensor -voltage low (Wiring open circuit/short circuit to ground, TP sensor, ECM)

34 - Manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor -voltage low (Wiring open circuit/short circuit to ground, MAP sensor, ECM)

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
OK so you have determined you have a TPS and MAP issue did you check the wiring as described? Did you use a voltmeter or test light to determine if power is going to the sensors?

tomsza

OK so you have determined you have a TPS and MAP issue did you check the wiring as described? Did you use a voltmeter or test light to determine if power is going to the sensors?
I just pulled them off and currently looking for continuity/resistance test info.

tomsza

Both sensors checked out OK. Plugged everything back in, cleared the codes, took her for a spin and she runs great. No chugging, no SES light, and no codes. YAY, might have been a bad connection. Crossing my fingers. :)

Last edited:
Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.