Purchased 79 Trans Am for fun build time

Tinrabbit

Iowa
So shopped around for a project to do this summer/fall and came across a 79 TA just 30 minute from me that needed and engine and very minor fixes to be a good daily driver. The 403 has decided to poke some rods out the sides of the oil pan and let loose a pushrod or 2 down into the pan, ouch. I am just getting started checking out online some parts sources and hitting the forums once again. Locally, the 403 is a very difficult engine to come across so im beginning to look at other possible power to get it out on the road again in a few months. Here's a lil run down on the car......Olds 403 power, TH400, 3:90 rear gears (it might twist some r's a bit on the highway) subframe connects, ugly ass traction bars, sunroof, pwr locks and windows, a/c, shaker hood, was rust proofed at one time in its life and is super clean interior -no sun fading (dash pad still very flexible) and the undercarriage is amazingly clean.

Attachments

92 Sunbird LE

403 no TTop - 1635 built
403 T Top - 8692 built
403 SE - 12 built ( code Y84 on the body tag)

A bunch of 403's on www.car-part.com for $750 and down.( Some low miles)

Had a 77 Bonneville ( aka the "Green Monster" ) with a 403 in Arizona, got up to 190k on it before number 8 cylinder started burning too much oil to pass emissions. Only other trouble with it was the timing chain went at 130k.

Doug in P.R. šŸ˜Ž

Last edited:

Tinrabbit

Iowa
Thx for the build info Bird. Checked out car-part too. Gonna start looking for Firebird/Trans Am classifieds and the parts suppliers for the few items I do need. Any recommended sites to keep eye on?

Your email address will not be publicly visible. We will only use it to contact you to confirm your post.