• In the 1980s and 1990s we used AOL and Usenet. In the 2000s there were forums and message boards. In the 2010s - and until the very near future - social media. Something new is coming for Pontiac owners... Become an early adopter of what's next by SIGNING UP HERE. Your email address will not be sold or used in any way other than us communicating more details as we prepare for launch - and we will not communicate often.

Quality of reproduction bumpers

OHC-sixfan

Reaction score
I have a 1966 GTO with original bumpers that need re-chroming. Have been quoted $ 800 to $ 950 by several chrome shops. Find reproduction bumpers at less than 1/2 those prices. Apparently three different companies make or market the repops. I suspect there is a quality difference and expected lifetime. Any out there that can comment on which repops are the best and if they are even close to the lifetime to triple plated originals.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Reaction score
If you have originals that are in good shape, rechrome them. Only consider reproduction if yours are badly rusted or dented.

Classics Fan

Reaction score
I replaced a bent back bumper on a 72 LeMans with a repop from AMD and was very happy with the fit, finish and overall quality.

LLarder

Reaction score
I've had two reproduction 1970 GTO bumpers sent to me from NPD and both were not high quality. Corners were square when they should be rounded and the surface was visibly wavy. The were, however, shiny! I'm now looking for a good core to chrome.