• Hint: Use a descriptive title for your new message
    If you're looking for help and want to draw people in who can assist you, use a descriptive subject title when posting your message. In other words, "1995 Trans Am" isn't going to indicate to anybody that you need help. However, "Need help with my 1995 Trans Am" will. Be as descriptive as you can. Please use common sense... This message can be closed by clicking the X in the top right corner.

question about engine fitting in a 67 tempest

daseraces13

hello all. my grandfather recently passed and left me behind his 2 cars: 66 lemans 2dr coupe and a 67 tempest 2dr hardtop. both are 6 cylinder ohc cars, not sprints. the 67 has been in his garage for 30 plus years and the 66 in the backyard for over 35. i would like to swap an 8 cylinder into the tempest as the lemans has been sitting in his backyard for years and is unsalvagable. conveniently enough, my grandfather owner a 70s olds 92(if i remember correctly) and it had a freshly rebuilt 455 olds in it with a th350 on it. he pulled the motor out and sold the car. will this motor fit in the car? i know its not a pontiac motor and all but its the recources i have and it would be silly not to use it. engine mounts are obvious, but what combination of them? pontiac pedistols and olds clamshells? vise versa? all pontiac? how about exhaust? transmission crossmember and mounts? any information is welcome and will help me out. thank you all. ive attatched photos of both cars.
-matt

Attachments

cammerjeff

Belleville MI
It would fit, but it would take alot of Fabrication, Keep in mind I am not an Olds V8 expert. You could probably use early 1970's Olds Cutlass Engine Mount Brackets for a 455, olds, the T-350 will fit, but the big cars usually have a version of that trans with a Long tail Shaft, they usually will not just Bolt into a Midsize GM Car. Also things to Consider is what side is the Battery & Starter on? If it is the same side as the OHC-6 car then that is not an issue, Exhaust manifolds & routing, Fuel Line routing, the fuel pump on a OHC-6 car runs down the passenger side, the fuel line on a Pontiac V8 car runs down the drivers side.
Big Block Olds Engines are very large compared to a Pontiac V8, they are much taller & wider. Plus they are heavier, so the front springs of the Tempest would have to be changed to adjust the ride height with the heavier engine. This is not even addressing oil pan clearance on the engine subframe, or radiator clearance, plus you will need a larger radiator that fits the 67 Body. 67 was the last year the radiator core flowed up and down, all later cores flow side to side.

It can be done, but those are my concerns with out seeing the car and engine/trans sitting in it.

melsg5

Staff member
SUSTAINING MEMBER
Sell the Oldsmobile engine and buy a Pontiac engine to avoid all the grief.

daseraces13

It would fit, but it would take alot of Fabrication, Keep in mind I am not an Olds V8 expert. You could probably use early 1970's Olds Cutlass Engine Mount Brackets for a 455, olds, the T-350 will fit, but the big cars usually have a version of that trans with a Long tail Shaft, they usually will not just Bolt into a Midsize GM Car. Also things to Consider is what side is the Battery & Starter on? If it is the same side as the OHC-6 car then that is not an issue, Exhaust manifolds & routing, Fuel Line routing, the fuel pump on a OHC-6 car runs down the passenger side, the fuel line on a Pontiac V8 car runs down the drivers side.
Big Block Olds Engines are very large compared to a Pontiac V8, they are much taller & wider. Plus they are heavier, so the front springs of the Tempest would have to be changed to adjust the ride height with the heavier engine. This is not even addressing oil pan clearance on the engine subframe, or radiator clearance, plus you will need a larger radiator that fits the 67 Body. 67 was the last year the radiator core flowed up and down, all later cores flow side to side.

It can be done, but those are my concerns with out seeing the car and engine/trans sitting in it.
i get what you mean. i want to stay away from the pontiacs and would rather not with the olds, but its what i have. might sell that to get a sbc or something in that fashion. itll be frowned upon but itll be cheaper in the long run. thanks for the input, i appreciate it